Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t176730.html)

katigirl 01-27-2012 12:42 AM

You will find a great many that love to hand quilt. I do some of each.

mtteach101 01-27-2012 03:14 AM

Interesting you say it is a lost art. When I lived in Montana I learned to hand quilt. Here in Vegas I was told by three workers at different shops that people don't hand quilt anymore. Personally I enjoy it and so does my 22 year old daughter.

117becca 01-27-2012 04:21 AM

I also am a hand quilter and LOVE it!!! I am hoping to turn my passion into finishing quilts for others - finishing Grandma's, Momma's, Aunt's quilt top that never got finished. This way, I get "my fix", don't have to spend money on fabric, make a few bucks on the side - and most importantly finish those treasures the way they were meant to be instead of them sitting folded up in a closet not being enjoyed by family and friends!

nhweaver 01-27-2012 04:44 AM

I hand quilt and hand piece some projects. Right now I have a farmer's daughter being hand pieced and an amish throw getting ready to hand quilt. It takes me forever, and I do it in spurts. I love and enjoy both processes, hand an machine.

ktmo815 01-27-2012 05:20 PM

I hand quilt all of mine for the last couple of years. I find it relaxing

hsquiltingmom 01-27-2012 06:18 PM

I handquilt as well. I love it. It is portable, so I can easily take it when we go in the motorhome. I am also learning machine quilting (teaching myself) for those things that I would like to get done a whole lot sooner. I also love doing the whole cloth quilts. I use nylon tricot on my whole cloth quilts, and I do them for very close friends and families for weddings. They have an LDS temple on them.

Jackie R 01-28-2012 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replys for the techniques to use for the underneath finger so as not to get stuck with the needle. Will try them next time I hand quilt.

quilterstacie 01-28-2012 05:14 PM

I can't wait to learn how to hand quilt!

sewbeadit 01-28-2012 06:29 PM

That is an intersting question. When I have gone to show so many are hand quilted, just a bit more as the years go by are machine quilted. I always thought machine quilting was a bug-a-boo in the quilting world. Now it sounds as though it may be overtaking hand quilting? Don't know but I don't hand quilt, never could enjoy it, so I machine quilt.

Borntohandquilt 01-29-2012 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 4920418)
That is an intersting question. When I have gone to show so many are hand quilted, just a bit more as the years go by are machine quilted. I always thought machine quilting was a bug-a-boo in the quilting world. Now it sounds as though it may be overtaking hand quilting? Don't know but I don't hand quilt, never could enjoy it, so I machine quilt.

Hand quilting and machine quilting are two different kind of arts. I think they should exist side by side of the same value.

I am glad to see that some of the big quilt shows keep catergories for both!