Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone made a cutting table with shelves underneath? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-cutting-table-shelves-underneath-t224718.html)

petthefabric 06-29-2013 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. It's 3 prefab cabinets set side by side. The top is melamine 24" wide shelving, 76" long that sits on the top. Both cabinets and shelving are from Home Depot. The top is covered with 24" x 70" olfa cutting mat. I had a wider cabinet but couldn't reach all the way across. This one I can walk around and cut from 3 sides. It sits perpendicular to the closet at the center, so I can still get into the closet from either side. [ATTACH=CONFIG]421759[/ATTACH]

Handcraftsbyjen 06-29-2013 04:33 PM

Nouveau stitch, I love your cutting table!

grandmahoney 06-30-2013 02:53 AM

My husband made mine out of a old dresser. It was one of the long dressers with the 6 drawers in it. He just built a top for the size I wanted and set it on top. It has worked great.

Retiredandquilting 06-30-2013 03:20 AM

My cutting table is made out of an old three drawer dresser with an oversized top on it cut out of plywood and covered with self adhesive floor tile. There is a shelf just under the board with trays of small items (stapler, pliers, and other small stuff) and I also keep rolls of freezer paper and wonder-under type products there. The three drawers hold fat quarters, fabric that is between a fat quarter and a yard, and UFO's in the bottom drawer. Works great for me.

peppermint31 06-30-2013 03:23 AM

I read somewhere that someone used the base of a waterbed with drawers to make into their cutting table. Thought I saved it but cannot find it now. Maybe it was on this board. It had a picture of how it was done

cdr1182 06-30-2013 03:44 AM

Great idea. What are the table dimensions?

Daryl

1screech 06-30-2013 03:55 AM

I have a big cutting table that was hand made with a shelf about midwat down. T have my FW on the shelf and non quilting fabrics plus some odds and ends on the floor under the shelf. It also has a lift up section on the back in case I need more top space. I have a smaller 2door cabinet like a kitchen cabinet with a Formica top on it in my regular sewing room. I use the smaller table most...the bigger table is where my long arm sits and in the room with my embroidery machine. It seems to be more of a catch all for things that I have not put up.

katesnanna 06-30-2013 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6149215)
My sewing table does have a shelf underneath but it merely stores a couple of plastic bins of future projects.
I might design it differently today, but can't afford to have another one built' this one is fine.

Jan in VA

Jan, could you get a chest of drawers that would fit under the table?

Snooze2978 06-30-2013 04:52 AM

Gale, I used two bookcases with doors as my end pieces, added a 1/2" piece of nice plywood with an overhang for the top which I sanded, sealed and added a couple layers of varnish on it. Even added trim to hide those ugly cut marks all along the edges. I used "L" brackets to secure it to the bookcases from underneath. Used the "L" brackets to add another shelf underneath for more storage. I found a place where you can have a cutting mat cut to the size you want/need which I want to do later in the summer as my cutting mat is all cut up. They have the self-healing mats which I find do not destroy my blades as badly. They will also send you the leftover pieces of the mat they use to cut your size. Can't beat that. My cutting table is 44" x 6 feet right now but I'm going to beef it up to 48" x 7 feet with the new mat.

Emma S 06-30-2013 05:04 AM

Some really good ideas. If I was starting over I think I would go for the kitchen cabinets. They would be the right height for a standing table and very sturdy. As others have mentioned, the organization section has some really great ideas posted by others.