Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you changed your rotary blade recently? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-changed-your-rotary-blade-recently-t114536.html)

sassy granny 04-08-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2

Originally Posted by jillaine
Ah sweet joy!
Why on earth did I wait so long to change thee?

I just changed mine this morning. Why have I tormented myself so!!??!!? Now that I know the difference, I am going to stock up on blades.

BUT - what do you do with the old blades? How do you dispose of them??

I have an empty face cream jar that I put mine in and put the lid on. When it gets full , then in the trash it goes and I get another jar.

fleurdelisquilts.com 04-08-2011 07:28 PM

Well, I am so cheap! Just realized that, thank you. I use up the blade till there's almost nothing left, then I sharpen it!

The old blade goes in an empty blade container that I saved and marked (literally) USED so I can tell the difference. I re-use them when I cut fleece and paper because I find that both ruin the blades.

There is very little that I actually throw away. Yeah, I'd like to say frugal but, truth is, I'm cheap.

jillaine 04-08-2011 07:53 PM

I looked at Harbor Freight web site and could find no rotary cutting tools or blades. Please advise!
thanks.

Pickles 04-08-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Well, I am so cheap! Just realized that, thank you. I use up the blade till there's almost nothing left, then I sharpen it!

The old blade goes in an empty blade container that I saved and marked (literally) USED so I can tell the difference. I re-use them when I cut fleece and paper because I find that both ruin the blades.

There is very little that I actually throw away. Yeah, I'd like to say frugal but, truth is, I'm cheap.

Ditto me to..lol :D :thumbup:

BETTY62 04-08-2011 08:31 PM

Thanks for the post. It is way past time to change my blade and I have no excuse for not doing so.

Ruby the Quilter 04-08-2011 09:02 PM

It is amazing how easy it is to cut with a new blade. I finally changed mind this week and cuts like a dream. I promise to change it more often.

Ruby the quilter

dash2000lbs 04-08-2011 09:15 PM

Just changed mine ... What a difference!!!!

wanderingcreek 04-08-2011 10:18 PM

Changed mine last week but haven't cut anything this week at all. Now that I have found out about the Harbor Freight blades, I don't feel bad about changing blades more often. With the price of 5 blades being $54.98, I certainly didn't change them as often as I should have before.

Cuilteanna 04-08-2011 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by gunny148
I was taught to the old way to cut blocks pencil,sissors,and a templet of cardboard... look how far we have come.

So was I. I'll never forget when a new woman came to the group and explained cutting mats, rulers, and rotary cutters to us!! I've never looked back since, LOL.

Jim 04-08-2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I looked at Harbor Freight web site and could find no rotary cutting tools or blades. Please advise!
thanks.

At Harbor Freight they are called CARPET CUTTING BLADES...I love them