Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever used these products? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-used-these-products-t107453.html)

ncredbird 03-13-2011 05:06 PM

Now that my quilt room is finished and I am set to go I have a few questions about products I have seen mentioned or used and would like some feedback.
Years ago my best friend and I did quilting together. She did the free motion quilting and I did the piecing. She would use a silicone spray of some sort on the surface around her sewing machine to help everything move easily. Have you ever done this and what product did you use?
Recently I have read about the Clover Fabric Folding Pen. Have you tried it and how does it work? I looked it up on the internet but there is not much of a description. Wonder if someone can come up with a recipe for the solution you use in it?
Ann in TN

Midwestmary 03-13-2011 05:32 PM

Hi Ann

I have used the silicone spray you mentioned, however, that was five years ago - I'm not sure it is still made. I have had better luck using a piece of silicone that fits over your machine bed with a hole for the needle...there is a commercial product called the Supreme Slider - you can Google it to find it...pricey, but works well. Saw a thread on this awhile back and it was mentioned some have had good luck purchasing a piece of silicone at Bed Bath and Beyond. Hope that helps :)

Maggiesmom 03-13-2011 05:33 PM

I have sprayed with the silicon spray around the machine and the needle. When you do the needle, especially if you are doing embroidery, it helps to keep the thread from shredding.

suebee 03-13-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Now that my quilt room is finished and I am set to go I have a few questions about products I have seen mentioned or used and would like some feedback.
Years ago my best friend and I did quilting together. She did the free motion quilting and I did the piecing. She would use a silicone spray of some sort on the surface around her sewing machine to help everything move easily. Have you ever done this and what product did you use?
Recently I have read about the Clover Fabric Folding Pen. Have you tried it and how does it work? I looked it up on the internet but there is not much of a description. Wonder if someone can come up with a recipe for the solution you use in it?
Ann in TN

I just bought some of the silicone spray and its wonderful. Look online for Sullivans Silicone spray for sewers.

darlin121 03-13-2011 06:16 PM

I've never heard of the silicone spray, I may have to try that.

grammysews4u 03-13-2011 06:32 PM

I use the silicone slider, it work well for me also use the quilting gloves with it.

grumpy90650 03-13-2011 07:17 PM

i am guessing the silicone spray does not get on the quilt or fabric?...please let me know...thanks...

Holice 03-13-2011 07:22 PM

many yrs ago I was told the silicone spray works if the machine bed is plastic and car polish if the bed is metal.

and was suggested getting one of those tflon liners used on cookie sheets and punch a hole in it.

baskets4moo 03-13-2011 07:23 PM

I bought the Clover fabric folding pen a while back & it really does work like they said it does. It definitely is a keeper. Now if I would just remember to use it more.

feffertim 03-14-2011 06:03 AM

what is a fabric folding pen ?