Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried wavy line quilting? Whats your thoughts pros and cons. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-wavy-line-quilting-whats-your-thoughts-pros-cons-t297155.html)

julybaby8 05-26-2018 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee (Post 8064374)
I'm going to be quilting 5 quilts soon. They are reversible with quilt tops on both sides. I'm thinking wavy line quilting might be the best way to quilt them. I have not used this method before. Have you? What was your technique? Did you quilt by top to bottom reversing direction? Waiting to hear your responses. Thanks in advance. Best place to find help is this quilting board!!!! I quilt on my domestic machine.

I just started “organic quilting “ if you want to see lovely quilting, check out Sew Fresh Quilts. She starts in the middle and works to one side and then turns it around and does the other side from the middle out. It eliminates a lot of the bulk.
Happy quilting.

KnitnutBZ 05-26-2018 05:17 AM

Yes I have used waves on a few quilts. One was a strip quilt with a sea turtle appliqué and I did them 3-4 “ apart and they looked like waves. I do mostly meandering and I do the waves on mostly strip or plain quilts.

Mkotch 05-26-2018 05:31 AM

I use this method a lot, especially on borders. I have even done a grid in wavy lines, first going up and down with wider (1-1.5") spaces between, and then going across the same way. I have also drawn a wavy line diagonally and then echoed it on either side. I love the look of Jeanne S's quilts, especially the animal one. Will have to give that a try, too!

Monika 05-26-2018 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done this several times and love the look and feel of the finished quilt. I have worked out my best way to stay on track is to mark the very top and bottom with hash marks every inch. Then I just do easy wavy lines and use the hash marks to stay on track. I start in the center and move the right going top to bottom and then turn it around and do the other side all in the same direction. Since there is no line crossing, it is not a problem.

It does take a lot of thread, but I love the results. Here is a medium close up of one I made from a free Craftsy class.

Marge611 05-26-2018 08:32 AM

Thanks for the samples. What a cool technique! I will have to try it.

Rhonda Lee 05-26-2018 09:26 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What great responses. Helps me to plunge ahead with what needs to be done.

RuthiesRetreat3 05-26-2018 02:54 PM

Not only a great idea for quick quilting, but it also looks great. You did a really fine job!

cathyvv 05-26-2018 03:27 PM

I love the quilts and the quilting!

jokir44 05-26-2018 08:41 PM

If you're doing it all over the quilt it will take forever if you make the lines really close together. Think of your quilting as if it were woodgraining. There are close and far apart areas and knotholes. That gives you a lot of forgiving options.

sewbizgirl 05-26-2018 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I love wavy lines. They are fast and easy and look great. Here's a baby quilt I did with wavy lines, but they run in the three directions of the sides of the triangles.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594997[/ATTACH]