Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried wavy line quilting? Whats your thoughts pros and cons. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-wavy-line-quilting-whats-your-thoughts-pros-cons-t297155.html)

JuneBillie 05-27-2018 12:21 AM

Bonnie that baby quilt is so pretty. The wavy line quilting looks great.

mindless 05-27-2018 11:26 AM

Bonnie, your baby quilt is so cute! :)
I have used wavy lines a lot. I usually quilt diagonally, from corner to corner. Starting with a lazy, wavy line down the center, I just echo it, trying to stay about the same distance away. After finishing one direction, I start at the opposite corner and do the same thing...making a big, diagonal, wavy 'x' accross the quilt. But, I've never done a quilt larger than about twin size this way.
Just to change it up a bit, I tried a QAYG, and quilted the blocks with diagonal, wavy lines, using a wide and long zig zag stitch. (my walking foot has a wide opening, so this works with it). I really liked the effect.
Now, I zig zag a lot of my fmq...stippling, meandering, echoing, even bubbles and vines are fun with zig zag stitches.

husker67 05-27-2018 12:01 PM

I've never heard of wavy line quilting but I like it and think I'll give it a try. TFS.

Chester the bunny 05-27-2018 01:19 PM

Ohhh! Thanks for asking this question, I have a sandwiched quilt that is waiting to be quilted and this is just what it needs. Thanks everyone who have posted photos, inspiring!

mindless 05-27-2018 02:21 PM

Thanks for posting those pictures, Jeanne, Nesie, Monika, and SewBiz. They are ALL so pretty and inspiring!

mountainwoman 05-31-2018 07:07 PM

I use this technique A LOT instead of quilting in the ditch. This is how I do it: Using my walker foot (not necessary, but nice), I set my stitch selection to #25 on my computerized sewing machine (Brother SQ915). I change the stitch length from whatever it says it is to the maximum, which is 4 and 7. (If you want a smaller wavy line, make the numbers smaller -I used 2.5 and 4.5 on a small item I was quilting. If you can select this "wavy line" on your machine, just take a scrap piece of fabric and run it at the length it presets to, then experiment until you find what you like. Unless I absolutely HAVE TO quilt in the ditch, this is what I use instead. Oh, and the back looks just lovely with these wavy lines. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TECHNIQUE!

QuiltnLady1 06-01-2018 07:47 PM

Some machines have a serpentine stitch that does a wave, but the length and width are limited by the size the machine allows. I have used the painters tape method to define the width and then put a pin at regular intervals to make wider and longer waves. Then I use the bar that comes with the machine to set how far apart I want to echo the waves. I also have done the waves free hand deliberately not echoing the stitching to make it more interesting.