Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heat-bond-vs-wonderunder-vs-t120257.html)

penski 05-03-2011 09:22 AM

my favorite is Steam A Seam 2 i have tried heat and bond but did not like it , i always wash my fabric before using anything or sewing with it

3TreeFrog 05-03-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.

I am with Quiltingaz, as that is exactly what I was told at my LQS today!

TreeFrgo

luckylindy333 05-03-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.

I love love love steam a seam!

gotta-sew 05-03-2011 10:07 AM

The price you paid was high. But when you live where those things aren't as accessable you pay what you pay. That's what we do. But when you are in a bigger city or town, load up then, you will save more than half. Should be around $2.00 a yard. good luck.

Judie 05-03-2011 11:21 AM

I usually use steam a seam lite.. I also have used a lot of wonderunder.. I like both products. I have not liked heat and bond that well.. When I use them on a quilt I don't like that stuck down look or feeling, so I cut out the shape, and then cut it again to take out the most of the inside leaving only a quarter inch or less.. I iron that to my applique, cut it to shape, and pull off the small slip of paper left and apply the applique to my piece.. Since I always stitch down my appliques in one fashion or another the bit of fusible left on the fabric disappears under the stitching and the piece feels like it was just stitched on.

Dizzydene 05-03-2011 11:25 AM

Raw edge applique is my favorite. I use heat and bond lite because it works, it's less expensive than steam a seam 2 lite, it stays good for years, it holds in place for years without stitching it down and its available in a roll.

Steam a seam 2 lite is a very nice product, but I think heat and bond lite is easier to use.

Wonderunder may have changed in recent years, but the older it is the less it works, until it doesn't work at all. You used to need to use it within a year or it loses its properties.

writerwomen 05-03-2011 01:04 PM

Wonder under becaue it is readily available at Walmart and the price is right

Kathleen charnell 05-03-2011 01:06 PM

Try the fusible thread by Superior, you'll never have to worry about any stiffness or cutting away any part !!

quilt3311 05-03-2011 01:08 PM

Usually use Wonder Under 805 Works for me.

meanmom 05-03-2011 02:06 PM

I like steam a seam lite the best. It is easy to sew thru and not too stiff. I used it to make a Christmas project a few years ago. It had a lot of small pieces. A 1 inch tall cat has 6 colors. I was worried about it holding so I ran a test. I made one of the sheep and ran it thru the washing machine (with blue jeans and whatever) and dryer 6 times with no fraying. I didn't do any stitching on it. I am now a fan.