Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with color selection for Surf Song Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-color-selection-surf-song-bargello-t272252.html)

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 02:55 PM

Help with color selection for Surf Song Bargello

4 Attachment(s)
I hope you aren't sick of this question..... I am sure it probably comes up alllllll the time! :)

I want to make this quilt for my daughters swim coach (a man), so I want it to look like lots and lots of water. I am afraid I don't have enough variety......

Any suggestions?

The bottom picture is all of the colors together. The other two are close ups of the two different color schemes.

quiltsRfun 11-14-2015 03:08 PM

Have you tried converting your photo to black and white? That will help you see if there's enough contrast. You might also try looking at it from a distance or blurring your eyes. I'm seeing a lot of the same values scale of prints in the darker blues on the left. How about introducing some larger prints?

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 03:09 PM

I am trying to figure out how to turn it to black and white.......and that is exactly what I think, that the darker blues are all going to blend......I have looked and looked and looked for more blues.................

Ok...figured it out. :)

Dina 11-14-2015 03:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it will look fine. I have made two Surf Songs....one in blue and purple, and one in blue and yellow. I was told the blue and yellow one looked like water on a beach, or sort of. I am going to include pictures of both, in case they help you.

But I wouldn't hesitate to use the fabric you have selected. I am very much in favor of two color quilts, and that is what you will basically have. I always add white to my Bargello designs, as I like the contrast that creates. You might like that too?

I love the Surf Song design.

Dina

quiltsRfun 11-14-2015 03:14 PM

How about some batiks? I'd also look for prints with more white, maybe even a large floral even though it's for a man. Once they're cut up they'll look more like waves. I used florals in a Bargello for a man. I'm off to find a link.

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 03:15 PM

I am pretty sure I have seen your quilts on this forum....I have been searching and searching and SEARCHING.....it seems like everyone else has picked awesome colors, and then I look at mine and think, "Blah!" My next one is going to be a purple one.......I LOVE purple, and I love yours! Both of yours are awesome.......It is such a gorgeous pattern. You did an amazing job.

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 03:17 PM

This may be a dumb question....but can you find batiks at Joann's or Hancock? Those are really the only places around here. I have ordered online before, but for jelly rolls....not sure about buying these online.

Can't wait to see your link, quiltsRfun....................

quiltsRfun 11-14-2015 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couldn't find a link but here are some photos of the quilt and a closeup of the fabric. This was made for my boss when he retired.

quiltsRfun 11-14-2015 03:21 PM

Yes, both JoAnn and Hancock have batiks. Not a wide selection at the ones I shop. Thousands of Bolts has a good selection and fairly good prices.

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 03:24 PM

OH MY GOSH. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one you made for your boss. This is what I hate about myself....looking at your prints up close, I would NEVER think to put, for example, the one grey with the purple dots material in with the rest of them. HOW do you guys do it???

Wow, that is definitely a gorgeous quilt.