Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with color selection for Surf Song Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-color-selection-surf-song-bargello-t272252.html)

Tothill 11-14-2015 03:31 PM

Ok I am a Coastal woman. If you want surf you need some white, waves are white when they break.

Where I love the water has quite a bit of green, which is lovely.

I love your blues, but you need a really deep colour, remember that blue darkens to purple. You also need some very pale to white.

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 03:35 PM

Sigh...........

This is THE hardest part of quilting for me, and since my mother in law, my quilting buddy, died, I have no one to go to for help and inspiration! You guys are being SO helpful. I really appreciate it!

Dina 11-14-2015 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still think your fabric selection is okay, but if you add some white and some really dark, navy blue....that might also help you... When I said you had two colors, I was counting the two shades of blue....dark blue and light blue.

Thanks for admiring my two Surf Songs.

Since you have mentioned purple....I have to share my purple Bargello. It is just purple and white. Pretend it is what you are playing with in blue. Might help. The one fabric that has purple and white in it added a bit of surprise, I thought. Everyone told me not to use it....but I like it. Visualize blue where the purple is, and I think you can see that it might be a good look. Your blues are not as dull as you are thinking.

Dina

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 03:48 PM

Oh, my....I LOVE your purple......can you take a close up of the fabrics?? I really like the one with the white in it, too....it adds a bit of zing. I HAVE to make a purple one. I took a class with my mother in law years ago where we made an around the world quilt....I did green, but someone in the class did a purple and it was far and away my favorite.

Misty's Mom 11-14-2015 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine[ATTACH=CONFIG]535684[/ATTACH]

quiltsRfun 11-14-2015 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bayyjayy (Post 7376634)
OH MY GOSH. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one you made for your boss. This is what I hate about myself....looking at your prints up close, I would NEVER think to put, for example, the one grey with the purple dots material in with the rest of them. HOW do you guys do it???

Wow, that is definitely a gorgeous quilt.

I was going for this look. It's a place in Utah called The Wave. My boss had hiked to see it and had a picture in his office. I chose colors that I thought would give me that look. You should look at pictures of water/waves and choose colors from there.

Jeanne S 11-14-2015 04:54 PM

I think your fabrics are fine! If you wanted a little more contrast, add a dark navy to one end and an icy blue/white at the other end. The only other thought is to add a few in the Aqua tones to add a little green that you see in water. It will be lovely!!

yngldy 11-14-2015 05:24 PM

Love the pattern on your quilt. Would you give us the name of the pattern? I like the waves more than the peaks in a bargello. TIA

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 7376664)
Here's mine[ATTACH=CONFIG]535684[/ATTACH]

Buckeye Rose 11-14-2015 05:32 PM

The Surf Song Bargello is all about movement and to best see that movement, you need some contrast in your colorway. Dark to light fabrics...your fabrics all look the same shade of blue to me.

bayyjayy 11-14-2015 05:44 PM

WOW, Misty's Mom.....LOVE your quilt.....Love the movement.