Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with color selection for Surf Song Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-color-selection-surf-song-bargello-t272252.html)

ManiacQuilter2 11-15-2015 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made many bargello probably over two dozen and I still fret over which fabrics to use. There isn't anything that looks out of place with your fabric. Have you thought of added some tans/ecru for a beach?? Scroll down to Sharonsquilts:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t262619.html
I usually put my fabric up on the design wall. I would suggest staying away from large prints because they can easily look out of place when cut into small pieces. That is what I had with making this table runner. But I wanted to make this table runner using the fabric that RK had donated to our church:

PurplePassion 11-15-2015 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 7377004)
I am looking at the pattern, and for a quilt 98" x 96 1/2 you need 5/8 yard of 24 fabrics...16 fabrics in your main color group and 8 in another. (She says the 8 should be a similar color group.) Fat quarters won't work, as you need at least 42 inch width of fabric.

For the lap size you need 1/4 yard of 20 fabrics. That is two color groups, 12 in one and 8 in the other. Fabric needs to at least be 42 inches wide. Lap size is 46 1/2 by 48 1/2.

Dina

Thank you Dina, that helps me a lot.

bayyjayy 11-15-2015 01:20 PM

I went again today and got three more pieces of material!!!!!!!!! I haven't had a chance to play with them, but I will definitely post some pictures soon so I can get some opinions. I LOVE forums like this. It is amazing the kind help you get from others who share whatever passion it is....thank you all so much.

I was going to add some tans, but since he is her swimming coach, I want it to look like a pool, not so much with sand. I thought and thought about adding other colors in, but.......we will see how it works out. :)

I did stay away from large prints, though I found some beautiful prints. I don't have my design wall up at the moment, but as soon as I start cutting my fabric it will be up again. I am very busy at the moment and really shouldn't be quilting, but.....it needs to be done by the end of the school year, so figured I would get started early and work on it as I can.

I really love the colors in your table runner. It is amazing to me when I see people make things from donated material. My mother in law made gorgeous quilts out of some ugly material before. That is what has helped me more than anything....to see how weird and sometimes UGLY material goes so well mixed in with other material.....but still, this is the hardest part for me....figuring out the material (and the funnest, really!).

bayyjayy 11-15-2015 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
How about this?

Buckeye Rose 11-15-2015 05:25 PM

Much better....and arranging them light to dark shows how they will "wave" in the quilt. Picking fabrics for a bargello such as "Surf Song" can be a difficult task. I think I looked for weeks for the last two dark teal fabrics in my avatar quilt!

grammysharon 11-15-2015 08:49 PM

I think you need more batiks to give the quilt more motion.

Sharonquilts 11-16-2015 02:56 AM

bayyjayy, I like your colors. I remember how difficult it was to find 24 different fabrics. Whew! I probably went to a dozen stores and then didn't use all the fabrics I purchased. But with the help of our wonderful Board members, I found a combination that worked great for the beachy theme I was after. If you are like me, I was intent on getting the fabrics right. Ha.

ManiacQuilter2, thank you for referencing my bargello thread. I hope it is helpful. Unfortunately, mine is currently a UFO (life got in the way) but plan to get back to it after the Holidays. BTW, love your table runner.

bayyjayy 11-16-2015 03:59 AM

Buckeye Rose.....your quilt in your avatar is absolutely stunning. I wish I could see it big. The colors are scrumptious. I have SO many different materials that I have purchased for this quilt. In addition to the 24 in the quilt, I have THIRTY SEVEN other pieces of material. Granted, I probably had at least 10 from my stash that were big enough for this quilt, but still! I can't find any more batiks around here that would go with my quilt. I have one more piece of batik I bought the other night, but I am not sure I love it. So, yes, Sharonquilts......Whew, is right! :)

sandyl 11-16-2015 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't believe that I took a picture of the colors on my design wall before I started sewing, but here they are:[ATTACH=CONFIG]535803[/ATTACH]

sandyl 11-16-2015 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The green is actually bright green and not yellow as it appears in this picture. [ATTACH=CONFIG]535804[/ATTACH]