Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP WITH HIDEOUS YELLOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-hideous-yellow-t124032.html)

Sewslow 05-18-2011 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Several years ago as my first quilting effort I did BOMs at Hancock Fabrics. They turned out pretty well for a beginner and I would like to put them together as a quilt top. They stopped carrying the colors (for good reason) before I bought the sashing and the yellow is screechingly hideous -- the picture doesn't do its "hideousity" full justice -- so I don't know what color to use. I would appreciate suggestions.

QuiltnCowgirl 05-18-2011 01:58 PM

Your blocks made me think of some fat quarters I have. They are floral in blues, yellow & green. Can just see something like them for your sashing, one of your blues for a narrow border & then finshed off a wide border of the floral again. Maybe find a floral with these colors but with a white background, which may help calm the colors some.

PaperPrincess 05-18-2011 01:58 PM

I think I would use a beige or brown for sashing or you could be daring and try tea dying. that would tone down all the colors. And I learned a newword! "hideousity"
;-)

quiltmouse 05-18-2011 02:02 PM

LOL! Sorry! what a prediciment. So you have blocks for complete quilt, but no sashing? Or is the pic all the blocks you have?

The fabrics are all blenders, do you have a stash fabric that has 2 or more of the colors? A blue? A green? Sash it in that? No stash? buy a bold geometric or a floral that picks up the colors.

If those handful of blocks are all you have, sew them together & give as a baby gift. I like to make tummy time mats. Very heavy quilts that wont scrunch up when baby wiggles. Usually back with denim for the weight/stability. A baby will love your bright colors. (and won't know they are "ugly" :-D )

sorry about duplicate info, see I was typing from the first post only....

debcavan 05-18-2011 02:03 PM

How about a dark green sashing. It would act like black and tone things down. You are right the colors look great in the photo

irishrose 05-18-2011 02:05 PM

As long as those colors are so primary, how 'bout a red blender for sashing. Navy for the stopper strip and a bright primary print with all those colors for the wide border. If you can't beat 'em, join em! I like brights - can you tell?

Actually, I really like red and yellow together.

mommamac 05-18-2011 02:06 PM

I'd look for some printed or floral fabric in similar colors. Cut this into blocks the same size as the ones you have & put one between each of your 'yellow' ones.

Or you could make potholders, pillows or table runners...

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-18-2011 02:09 PM

I think black would look good, but I don't think the yellow looks bad. I love bright colors bordered with black. They really pop.

ghostrider 05-18-2011 02:09 PM

I would stay with the marbles, not adding any florals or prints at all. And, in my opinion, beige and/or brown would just look like mud with those brights.

I'd go with the same dark blue as sashing then a narrow border of the light blue and a wide border of the dark blue again. Another obvious choice is a black marble in one wide border with the dark blue as sashing. The blue will balance the yellow without making it look sickly (or sickening).

I actually like the colors. :oops:

GreatStarter 05-18-2011 02:22 PM

How about trying hot pink? Use tonal, no prints.
Kat