Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help.... How much???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-much-t101374.html)

nakuna 02-20-2011 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this wall hanging for my Brother and sister-in-law for Christmas... a friend of hers saw it and would like me to make her one and said she would pay anything for it... I have no idea how much to charge. I know you don't get paid for your time that you put into projects, but I don't want to charge too much or too little. So I haven't given her an answer yet... please help.

Wall hanging 45" x 45"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121643[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 02-20-2011 07:19 AM

at the very, very least $50.00. I made a larger baby sunbonnet sue quilt for a co-worker and then she wouldn't buy it. too much she said! didn't even cover the fabrics.

wvhill22 02-20-2011 07:30 AM

I was going to say 75.00 but certainly not less than 50.00. I think it depends on how much you have in the material. If you are using high quality material or not. You still want it to be worth your while.

donnajean 02-20-2011 07:34 AM

Figure the cost of materials & multiply that by 3. Make sure to get a deposit before starting the project.

or

I like to have the person I'm making the quilt for purchase the materials. That way, they get a better understanding of the costs involved.

sewwhat85 02-20-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Figure the cost of materials & multiply that by 3. Make sure to get a deposit before starting the project.

or

I like to have the person I'm making the quilt for purchase the materials. That way, they get a better understanding of the costs involved.

i thinks this is a good way to figure price

luv-e 02-20-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85

Originally Posted by donnajean

or

i thinks this is a good way to figure price

Hew>>> I like this idea ALOT!!! Remembering this one.... People do that with me too..They want it for a few notes instead of the whole song!!

thimblebug6000 02-20-2011 07:54 AM

It's a beautiful wallhanging, I'm wondering how your sis-in-law will feel about her friend having one exactly like hers? Is there some way you could make them unique?

quilter1943 02-20-2011 07:56 AM

I agree with everyone on the pricing, but also agree on duplicating this for someone else. Maybe she would have a special little saying she would like on hers that is different.

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
It's a beautiful wallhanging, I'm wondering how your sis-in-law will feel about her friend having one exactly like hers? Is there some way you could make them unique?

pocoellie 02-20-2011 08:16 AM

Everything I've read says to charge 3 times the cost of the materials involved, including thread, etc., other than that I don't have a clue, but I would recommend getting a good deposit before doing anything.

nakuna 02-20-2011 09:49 AM

They don't want the cardinals... they want flowers or something...