Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help.... How much????

I made this wall hanging for my Brother and sister-in-law for Christmas... a friend of hers saw it and would like me to make her one and said she would pay anything for it... I have no idea how much to charge. I know you don't get paid for your time that you put into projects, but I don't want to charge too much or too little. So I haven't given her an answer yet... please help.

Wall hanging 45" x 45"
    Name:  Attachment-121638.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  44.8 KB

Blog Entries
    at the very, very least $50.00. I made a larger baby sunbonnet sue quilt for a co-worker and then she wouldn't buy it. too much she said! didn't even cover the fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I was going to say 75.00 but certainly not less than 50.00. I think it depends on how much you have in the material. If you are using high quality material or not. You still want it to be worth your while.

Figure the cost of materials & multiply that by 3. Make sure to get a deposit before starting the project.

or

I like to have the person I'm making the quilt for purchase the materials. That way, they get a better understanding of the costs involved.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Figure the cost of materials & multiply that by 3. Make sure to get a deposit before starting the project.

or

I like to have the person I'm making the quilt for purchase the materials. That way, they get a better understanding of the costs involved.
    i thinks this is a good way to figure price

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85

or

i thinks this is a good way to figure price
    Hew>>> I like this idea ALOT!!! Remembering this one.... People do that with me too..They want it for a few notes instead of the whole song!!

It's a beautiful wallhanging, I'm wondering how your sis-in-law will feel about her friend having one exactly like hers? Is there some way you could make them unique?

I agree with everyone on the pricing, but also agree on duplicating this for someone else. Maybe she would have a special little saying she would like on hers that is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    It's a beautiful wallhanging, I'm wondering how your sis-in-law will feel about her friend having one exactly like hers? Is there some way you could make them unique?

Everything I've read says to charge 3 times the cost of the materials involved, including thread, etc., other than that I don't have a clue, but I would recommend getting a good deposit before doing anything.

They don't want the cardinals... they want flowers or something...

Please do agree ahead of time on a price and have her pay 1/2 of it as a deposit with the rest due at completion. It will help to have her not change her mind somewhere along the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me how I know.......(sigh)

how pretty!

Well, it is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    how much did it cost you to make the first one? triple that amount.

Blog Entries
    I do $10/hour plus materials. Some think that's kind of pricey, but others think it's right in line.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure on the pricing but, because it is personalized with their name, I would ask for full payment up front. It's not like anyone else could use it when you finish it. She obviously knows the quality of your work having seen your sister's so should be willing to pay in full before you start the project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    I'm not sure on the pricing but, because it is personalized with their name, I would ask for full payment up front. It's not like anyone else could use it when you finish it. She obviously knows the quality of your work having seen your sister's so should be willing to pay in full before you start the project.
    I totally agree with this. If it's personalized, there's nothing else you can do with it if she backs out. I had that happen. Once.

Blog Entries
    Good to know-my oldest girlfriend wants me to make her a quilt for the guest bedroom in her new house in Fla. I know she doesn't have a clue what really goes into them, let along the cost of just the fabric. She says she'll gladly pay me whatever it costs. We will be visiting she and her DH this summer and I said we would go shopping together for the fabric after she picks out a pattern she wants and I would price it, depending on the complexity of the pattern. I also will be hand-quilting it. I think if she pays for the materials up-front, she will get a feel for why they cost so much. I will get her to buy backing, batting, and thread at the same time.

Think about it..........$10 per hour isn't really all that much as far as wages go.

Blog Entries

or

Ditto

Love the quilt. You may be able to get ideas by checking out quilts on etsy.com

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Totally agree~!

Blog Entries
    I would say $50-75 and et at least 50% up front. This is a really nice personalized wallhanging. Did you design this or is it from a pattern? Really beautiful work!!

Quote Originally Posted by nakuna
    I made this wall hanging for my Brother and sister-in-law for Christmas... a friend of hers saw it and would like me to make her one and said she would pay anything for it... I have no idea how much to charge. I know you don't get paid for your time that you put into projects, but I don't want to charge too much or too little. So I haven't given her an answer yet... please help.
    I have to say I agree with everyone here. Your time does count and if someone is asking for your work then make a little jingle for your hard labor. I also agree about a 1/2 down deposit. If you don't you also may be stuck with it.

I second Dawn Marie. Figure out your hourly charge and then add cost of materials. It is a beautiful piece and she is getting it directly from you-no middle man mark up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast