Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help.... How much????

Blog Entries
    Yes have them pay for most of it up front. I have made a few things as well and they backed out of it and I still have it. I'm never good at pricing things either.

I would say $10 an hour is too low. That's not much more than minimum wage (at least here in Washington). Your time and talent are definitely worth more than that.
    I also agree that you need to get the payment at the beginning. Of course, this means you will need to estimate how much time it will take you so you can say before hand.
    Just don't sell yourself short.
    The qult is beautiful, BTW.

I think the other ladies are right about the price or have the lady purchase her own materials. Please don't make it exactly like your sister-in-laws. I assume that one was made with love and you can't reproduce that for anyone else.Pointsettas would be nice. Course the date will always be differant.You can't charge full price for your time because most people won't pay an hourly rate.I always figure the cost of materials plus a set fee. Since I do most work for enjoyment anything I charge goes back into another project.Besides I'm not into crafting to get rich.

Since she's willing to pay almost any price -- how about $75-$100

Well I guess I am the cheap one on here.But I always charge what I have in fabric,batting and thread then double it.That way I can make another one and get my money back for the one I made.

I feel this world is just too greedy so if it is a friend I will even ask just for the cost of it or even just give it to them.
    But then again... this is just me.

Even though I donate most of my wall hangings and lap quilts to nursing homes; and I can complete them usually in a weekend, and after considering the time and materials I charge at least $10 an hour for the larger quilts.

Blog Entries
    Did you hand embroidery or machine? Do we figure in the cost of our equipment? It costs $5 per letter to get lettering on anything. How many letters??

I had a woman outside my LQS beg to buy one of my twin size quilts. It cost me about $75 for materials and $175 to the longarm quilter. I pieced the back in a large black and white to match the front. "Hip Chicks" http://Kariepatch.com I spent hours on it I told her $400 - that was the end of that. I really don't think people have any idea what is involved in quality fabrics and time. When you can go to Walmart etc. and pay 20 bucks
    I was told by people at my sewing machine shop to not sell a queen quilt for less than $800 so I gave it away.

Did you do the center by hand or is that machne? It is beautiful work. I agree with Dawn Marie, by the hour and materials. For sure over $50.00 (I would think) nice work

Blog Entries
    Several sites charge $20/hr. plus materials. This is for piecing, mending, altering, even clipping threads on the back of a top before long-arm quilting! If it makes you uneasy, think of what a hair dresser charges for cut & color. Here it's +/- $95 for an hour and a half!

Quote Originally Posted by star619
    Several sites charge $20/hr. plus materials. This is for piecing, mending, altering, even clipping threads on the back of a top before long-arm quilting! If it makes you uneasy, think of what a hair dresser charges for cut & color. Here it's +/- $95 for an hour and a half!
    I am so happy I live in MO my hairdresser charges 50.00 for color,cut,style!

Blog Entries
    That a great comparsion. Here we pay about $150 plus tip. for about 1 1/2 worth of work. and we pay even we don't like it!

I think i might start with seeing how much embroidery goes for these days. It is usually, or used to be, priced by the letter. I don't feel like the 50-75 range is near enough.
    Robin in TX

I did 2 rememberance quilts out of silk ties. The worst part was trying to cut them into strips. Anyway they were 42" sq and i charged $250 a piece. I did buy supplies out of that, which was batting, thread and the fabric to make the lite side of the log cabin and the backing.
    Robin in TX

First look for me was 55$ popped into my head.
    K

I was wondering myself how much to charge and boy did I rip myself off. I went for double the materials and it was a complicated baby quilt. I now know better thanks ladies. :()

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    I would have her buy the fabric and thread...then charge her
    $ 30.00 for making it.. that is my thought, I know it's worth more for your time , but it's your brothers friend ..and that way she can see what it cost just to buy the fabric..

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    PS: I love your work it is worth a lot, but like I said it's a friend of your brothers, if she was just someone asking you to make it, I still would like them to get the fabric and thread then charge for doing it, it also what size it is, as to charge for that ..I am making a lap quilt with a pillow and a bag to carry it, the set will cost
    $ 240.00 a set...as I own a campground , so I can display them for sale.. it's a shot ..

I've told my siblings that I would make a quilt for each of them. They only need to purchase the fabric. Nobody has taken me up on it yet! I wonder why?

I always thought the rule was double the amount of the cost of materials. Everyone here seems to say 3x's the amount. Guess I've been charging a lot less.

So pretty - love the cardinals. Good the other one wants flowers, etc. though. Thanks for the interesting factor with which to figure the charge.. I'll remember that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nakuna
    I made this wall hanging for my Brother and sister-in-law for Christmas... a friend of hers saw it and would like me to make her one and said she would pay anything for it... I have no idea how much to charge. I know you don't get paid for your time that you put into projects, but I don't want to charge too much or too little. So I haven't given her an answer yet... please help.
    My daughter had a little business for awhile making baby things from burp cloths to diaper bags to quilts and entire nursery sets. She told me she took the actual cost and multiplied by 3. They never failed to sell.

My rule of thumb is 2 1/2 times the cost of materials. People don't like to pay for labour, but why should you donate your time and skill.

My rule of thumb is 2 1/2 times the cost of materials. People don't like to pay for labour, but why should you donate your time and skill.

3 to 3 times the fabric
    Most times this covers time and additonal materials (thread, batting, etc. )

Have her purchase all fabrics, and then just keep track of your time. Then you can figure $$$$ from your time. If it's fun, easy, and for a friend, the price is very reasonable. But don't give your time away either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast