Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP. !!! I NEED HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-help-t60643.html)

pstoner 08-21-2010 02:14 PM

When I had these problems, I was going "backwards" what machine are you using?

nativetexan 08-21-2010 02:20 PM

please tell me you have a cover plate with a large hole area and not a small one for only straight stitching!!
and you need a darning foot (one with a spring on the shaft).

Lady Shivesa 08-21-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Ok, this might sound stupid, but when I first started FMQ, I kept forgetting to put the presser foot down. Because it doesn't grab the fabric as hard as a normal presser foot, I couldn't distinguish as easily between it's up and down position, and kept forgetting to put it down. That led to a lot of problems, including broken needles. I still feel pretty silly about it, but I can't be the only one who has ever done that (I hope!)

You're not the only one - I did that several times today. When I'm using a walking foot I have a hard time telling if it's up or down unless I feel for the lever thing. LOL

Mattee 08-21-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa

Ok, this might sound stupid, but when I first started FMQ, I kept forgetting to put the presser foot down. Because it doesn't grab the fabric as hard as a normal presser foot, I couldn't distinguish as easily between it's up and down position, and kept forgetting to put it down. That led to a lot of problems, including broken needles. I still feel pretty silly about it, but I can't be the only one who has ever done that (I hope!)

You're not the only one - I did that several times today. When I'm using a walking foot I have a hard time telling if it's up or down unless I feel for the lever thing. LOL

Thank goodness it's not just me!

Pat G 08-21-2010 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nativetexan
please tell me you have a cover plate with a large hole area and not a small one for only straight stitching!!
and you need a darning foot (one with a spring on the shaft).

This is what I thought for a long time. I finally found my problem. You won't believe it. It had nothing to do with my machine (Viking) or needles or anything like that. It was the piece I was working with. It's one of those pads where you fold ea. pc. in half then lay them criss crossed on ea. other. Then you turn it inside out. It was TOO thick. It has I think 6 layers & my needles just did not like that much thickness.

I started to work with a 3 layer pc. & it worked just fine. I even got my wallhanging done. Here is a pix without the binding. Just don't look closely at my pattern though. Or lack of one. LOL I should have done what some of you suggested & put it down for today but I was so determined since I gave myself permission to spend the day at my mach.

Pat G 08-21-2010 03:07 PM

You'll see it's my version of Patti's beaut. flower basket. I just couldn't get the soft colors she used though. I still love hers best but mine is fine for me.

I want to thank all of you who gave me advice on how to solve my problem. I knew all of you could help.

Butterflyblue 08-21-2010 03:12 PM

Cute wallhanging! I love the yo-yos. And am glad you found out what your problem was.

Pat G 08-21-2010 03:12 PM

I put batting behind the basket to give it dimension then free motioned it. Since I was only working from a pix of Patti's basket, I had to invent part of it.

Theresa 08-21-2010 03:13 PM

So very cute after a very trying time at your machine! Love seeing how yo-yo's can be used. Success!!!! Aaahhhh!

paintmejudy 08-21-2010 05:16 PM

Also, make sure you're using the correct type of needle for your machine and inserting it properly.

DID YOU MEAN FEED DOGS? NOT PRESSER FEET.