Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me here Ladies! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-here-ladies-t187104.html)

MaryKatherine 04-25-2012 03:14 AM

Help me here Ladies!

2 Attachment(s)
I'm happily committed to making a wedding quilt for a nephew whose girl friend I've never met. She very strong minded and decisive according to my sister, her future in law. But I can get no information from her reguarding her quilt.
I've posted her quilt preference from the Pottery Barn cataloque, but it's not a quilt in my opinion.
I can get no information whether she wants it Puffy, comforter or duvet style, or a proper quilt in those colours (It took me 3 months to hunt suitable fabrics close to her choice), blocks or pattern. Her only response is "I'll leave it up to you". I'm driving myself crazy here trying to decide how to approach this. She's seen my work so she does or should know the difference between her Pottery Barn picture and my style of work.
Help me decide.

MissSandra 04-25-2012 03:16 AM

since information does not come down the pike easily make what you will enjoy making. obviously someone does not care enough or understands the work time and $$ involved in making a quilt, that way if she does not like it perhaps it will come home where its cherished and loved.

Elainequilts 04-25-2012 03:19 AM

Almost any quilt would be beautiful withthe fabrics you have chosen. How about D9P?

MaryKatherine 04-25-2012 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Elainequilts (Post 5167829)
Almost any quilt would be beautiful withthe fabrics you have chosen. How about D9P?

A d9p was one of my thoughts as it still can have some large block sections
MaryKatherine

davis2se 04-25-2012 03:56 AM

I love the fabrics you have chosen. If it were me, I would save myself the aggravation and simply make a quilt out of 8 or 10 in blocks and quilt it similar to what is show in the PB picture.

Coincidence here - my dearest friend (non-quilter) brought me the same pottery barn picture last fall and asked me to help her make a quilt out of it. She has selected the fabrics, washed, ironed and cut them, and as I am now back in MI we will be starting the quilt next week.

Good luck with your decision and your quilt. I know it will be gorgeous no matter what you decide on.

tezell0801 04-25-2012 04:16 AM

Beautiful fabrics and I am sure anything you choose will be beautiful. You probably have more experience as a quilter in knowing what will look good when completed as far as a quilt goes than she does anyway.
I am sure she will love whatever you do, that is a nice gift!

barbsr 04-25-2012 04:24 AM

I was once told by a professional quilter to make what you want if it a gift. If you get suggestion you probably will not enjoy making it as much. My sister made a beautiful breast cancer quilt for my daughter's wedding gift. (I am a breast cancer survivor of 25 years). It was pink, green, and beige, which is not colors my daughter would have picked. Ten years later it is still on their bed.

Jackie Spencer 04-25-2012 04:26 AM

I would go with the 10 in. blocks also. Your fabrics are beautiful, and the large blocks will do them justice. From what you said I think she is more interested in color and the designs on the fabric, then she is in the actual pattern of the quilt.
Whatever you do, Im sure it will be gorgeous. Please share when your done.

twoxover 04-25-2012 04:28 AM

i think Jackie has hit it. keep it simple, she will love it.

runninL8 04-25-2012 04:31 AM

You have a beautiful selection of fabrics! How about 10 inch blocks, like suggested in other posts, with more intricate machine quilting? Let the machine quilting highlight the blocks.