Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me please find a great pattern... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-please-find-great-pattern-t183358.html)

MyMoose2 03-19-2012 11:06 AM

Help me please find a great pattern...

My younger sister has just been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. She will have to have five years of chemotherapy. I want to make a special quilt for her to keep warm during the infusion treatments. I don't want to use the typical "Cancer" fabrics or "Hope" ribbons to remind her. I want to make it positive and colorful. I need suggestions. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming right now. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Elizabeth

stitchingpost 03-19-2012 11:12 AM

How bout hearts you can't go wrong with them

stitchingpost 03-19-2012 11:15 AM

You could even stuff them with alittle batting so they puff up

donnajean 03-19-2012 11:15 AM

I like floral quilts as they speak to "new" beginnings. I know you "both" are on a tough road ahead. I lost my mom to breast cancer & my sister to colon cancer. They have so many new treatments & meds now than when my mother lost her battle in 1984. Try to say as positive as possible & I hope you live near your sister. I did not get to spend much time with my sister as we lived too far apart & I was still working. Hugs!

QM 03-19-2012 11:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My reaction for any person in need of a lap quilt is to make it cheerful, so I am inagreement with you. I would suggest that you plan a quickie for right now, and possibly a 2nd later. I would suggest something like the field of diamonds or the QAYG I posted recently. For the QAYG, and fairly large scale focus fabric would do nicely. I am posting 4 recent lap quilts to give you some suggestions, but really, quick and colorful is the key.

QuiltE 03-19-2012 11:18 AM

Go with colours she likes ... and fabrics that have some significance and meaning to her!
If she's a horse lover, or cat lover, or gardener or ?????????? then go with what she loves!

dunster 03-19-2012 11:34 AM

I am so sorry. I agree that you should go with colors or themes that she likes, whether soft tones or warm ones, home-style or modern, etc. I completely understand not wanting to make a quilt that reminds her of the cancer. There are some beautiful bargello patterns. Hunter's Star is a beautiful pattern. Perhaps back it with Minkee, flannel, or fleece for extra softness and warmth?

sandy l 03-19-2012 11:53 AM

What about a D9patch in florals? It would be a quick quilt to make.

JenniePenny 03-19-2012 11:56 AM

Look up Happy daisies on this board. It's one of the happiest quilts I have seen.

TerryQuilter 03-19-2012 12:30 PM

Warm wishes is also a nice quick pattern. You could use a fabric with one of her favorite things on it for the focus fabric and then bright happy colors for the rail fence block. Whatever you make will be loved.