Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me please find a great pattern...

Southern Illinois (also HI, OR, WA, TX, CA, MO, etc.)

Help me please find a great pattern...

My younger sister has just been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. She will have to have five years of chemotherapy. I want to make a special quilt for her to keep warm during the infusion treatments. I don't want to use the typical "Cancer" fabrics or "Hope" ribbons to remind her. I want to make it positive and colorful. I need suggestions. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming right now. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Elizabeth

How bout hearts you can't go wrong with them

You could even stuff them with alittle batting so they puff up

I like floral quilts as they speak to "new" beginnings. I know you "both" are on a tough road ahead. I lost my mom to breast cancer & my sister to colon cancer. They have so many new treatments & meds now than when my mother lost her battle in 1984. Try to say as positive as possible & I hope you live near your sister. I did not get to spend much time with my sister as we lived too far apart & I was still working. Hugs!

QM
    My reaction for any person in need of a lap quilt is to make it cheerful, so I am inagreement with you. I would suggest that you plan a quickie for right now, and possibly a 2nd later. I would suggest something like the field of diamonds or the QAYG I posted recently. For the QAYG, and fairly large scale focus fabric would do nicely. I am posting 4 recent lap quilts to give you some suggestions, but really, quick and colorful is the key.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go with colours she likes ... and fabrics that have some significance and meaning to her!
    If she's a horse lover, or cat lover, or gardener or ?????????? then go with what she loves!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so sorry. I agree that you should go with colors or themes that she likes, whether soft tones or warm ones, home-style or modern, etc. I completely understand not wanting to make a quilt that reminds her of the cancer. There are some beautiful bargello patterns. Hunter's Star is a beautiful pattern. Perhaps back it with Minkee, flannel, or fleece for extra softness and warmth?

Blog Entries
    What about a D9patch in florals? It would be a quick quilt to make.

Look up Happy daisies on this board. It's one of the happiest quilts I have seen.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Warm wishes is also a nice quick pattern. You could use a fabric with one of her favorite things on it for the focus fabric and then bright happy colors for the rail fence block. Whatever you make will be loved.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I made a small quilt for my sister for same reason. I used jelly rolls and made a big heart. Its a free pattern posted somewhere on line. I will try to find it. Very easy,very fast.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

can you find some way to get pictures of you and her family on it with hearts too. This way she will have love ones near her always. Good luck to her and love and God bless.

Blog Entries
    I agree with backing whatever you decide on with kinky...my sister was always cold. Best wishes for easy treatment sessions.

I saw a really cool idea - a quilted shawl with pockets
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/articles/A_Gift_for_Mom

Blog Entries
    I like Warm Wishes quilt pattern. The design is good for everyone.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...DoubleSize.pdf
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry to hear about your sister. A free pattern from Red Rooster fabrics is called Heart and Soul (it is one pg 5 or 6 of their retired patterns). I have done this quilt a few times, twice as a baby quilt in brights and three times in soft pastels for adults. The last one I made was for a friend who was going through chemo and it was done in puples and violets because that was her favorite colours. http://www.redroosterfabrics.com/qui...rns.php?page=6
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

Our prayers for your sister. Any quilt will be made with love so go with what YOUR heart is telling you. I've made a number of them and alway back them with minky or fleece. The skin gets so tender during chemo and the softness and warmth is extra comforting.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your sister. One of my favorites is a whimsical theme, whether garden flowers, animals, ocean and ocean life. Something that will help her and you through the days to come.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchingpost View Post
    How bout hearts you can't go wrong with them
    Sounds like a winner! There are so many heart patterns, you might even do a quilt with a dozen or so different patterns, using her favorite colors in each.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I am sorry for your sisters diagnosis, and pray all will go well for her. As for a quilt pattern, may I suggest "Happy Daisies" It is such a colorful, happy quilt. There are several photos here on the board, and I believe one of the kind people here offered her pattern. Best wished to you and your sister.

I agree with several already who recommend fabric designs or patterns of thngs that maker her feel safe, connected, "filled" with things that make her happy or centered. In the period of three and a half months our guild had eight members diagnosed with breast cancer; our guild also has breast cancer survivors who were an immeasurable source of strength and hope and recovery to these ladies, my friends, our "sisters of the cloth." All of the survivors shared they wanted nothing to do with pink ribbons until their first anniversary of survival - I'd keep that in mind for sure.

Another thought - since the process is five years, I'd think about five borders (or six, for that 1st anniversary) and maybe think about appliqueing little things in each border as that year-in-progress is happening, maybe it could be appliqued while the chemo is going on as you sit with her. I am a firm believer in holding the space for what can be, and creating a quilt with five or six borders does that. BUT each recovery and patient is different, so I offer these ideas with many prayers for your sister's success in the years to come.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Why not make it of things she loved as a child? Reminders of things like that could very well bring back happy, wonderful memories for her. Add in some things you fought over as sisters maybe, or fabrics of things to remind her of things you did together? My sister and I used to fight over doing the dishes, so I'd include some fabric like that. It's what I would do if she was my sister!

My prayers are with both of you.
    "Worry is about doing something you can do nothing about."

I just made one for a dear friend and used the idea of those who make up her support system - faith, family, and friends. I used a stained glass looking panel for Faith, pictures of her family for Family, and had her students and other friends tie the quilt. Best of luck to both of you. I love to tell people about my 82 year old mother who survived breast cancer 33 years ago - she's trucking along just great - playing with her great-grandchildren. She had the radical surgery everyone did at the time and lymph node removal because the cancer had spread there. Here's where I talked about it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t182141.html
    So many quilts, so little time.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I agree Happy Daisies would be perfect!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast