Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help me please find a great pattern...

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post

too much white for me, but it would be simple to make the white stripes within the quilt using more jelly rolls.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

After going through breast cancer, chemo and radiation this last year - I agree, go with colors and maybe a theme she loves. I happened to be one of those who got an adversion to pink and did not want anything pink. Still have a hard time wearing pink. I'll be remembering your sister in my prayers and also your family. She will need your support through this difficult time.

The Seattle Streets pattern makes a beautiful floral quilt. There are so many. I agree with others - find a fabric line that speaks to what she enjoys! Prayers going her way!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMoose2 View Post
    I want to make it positive and colorful. I need suggestions. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming right now. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Elizabeth
    Ok, first, breathe. Ask her - or her significant other etc what her favorite colors are. Take your favorite block, and "blow it up" - so the bock is 40 in square etc. Then you need a strip across the top and bottom. You can add her name on the bottom. Across the top, I would add some squares of clear vinyl, sewed on 3 sides, leaving the top open. She can slip in and change her favorite photos to have and look at during her treatments. I love to design using EQ7. If you want, feel free to PM me with a block, colors and size and I can draft a pattern for you in a matter of minutes. You will get a cutting chart, directions, yardage, and PDF of pattern showing colors you suggest - no charge, happy to do it. God bless you and your family.
    Johanna in WI

Prayers for a complete recovery. Pick colors etc that she likes for starters. If she loves cats...get cat prints, roses...rose prints, etc then base pattern on what you are using.

What about an envelope quilt in fabrics she will love --- or seasonal envelopes. If she chooses, she can put notes to herself in various envelopes.
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    My reaction for any person in need of a lap quilt is to make it cheerful, so I am inagreement with you. I would suggest that you plan a quickie for right now, and possibly a 2nd later. I would suggest something like the field of diamonds or the QAYG I posted recently. For the QAYG, and fairly large scale focus fabric would do nicely. I am posting 4 recent lap quilts to give you some suggestions, but really, quick and colorful is the key.
    I agree make it cheerfull and use colours and a theme that she likes, I do hope she is able to beat this cancer, My thoughts will be with you both.
    QM I just love the second and third quilt, thanks for sharing

Any cheerful quilt will help especially when it is from a person that loves her. I wish her the best in her treatment and recovery.

Possible Ideas for you

First off my prayers and love to you and your sister. I have some possible ideas for you to look at. I made the first one the Angel with ribbon and leaves for my future-sister-in-law on an apron, I'll attach a picture for you to see how it turned out.

Another angel idea and maybe a flower bud in a heart templates. I personally would make different blocks with vibrant happy colors and designs, but that's just me.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck. Please share the final outcome.

Again, prayers and get well soons for your sister.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My heart goes out to you and your sister during this time. Bright colors would be wonderful in any pattern but if it's possible try to incorporate some minkee into the quilt...like the backing. It's such a comforting fabric because it feels soft and it's so warm. The best to you!

Johanna, that is so sweet of you. I love the idea of vinyl slide ins for pictures. You're a genius.

Blog Entries
    My friend made me a heart quilt and it is simple to make, I will post a picture if you would like. I'm making one with a double heart.

Cookie64
    Life is great, enjoy each day as if it was your last. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

Elizabeth, another idea. If you decide to do a block style quilt. If you have other family members or friends of yours and your sisters who sew, maybe you could ask them to make up a block or two to assist you in making the quilt. I know I would need the help and this way others get to contribute on such a wonderful gift.

How about 'I Spy" for her. Using things that she likes or remember her of memories. You could have some blocks with photos in them. Making the blocks bigger. Make it colorful and use some fabric or garments of her family, Mother's dress or Daddy's shirts. Backing such be soft like flannel or polar. Good Luck. What ever way you go. She will be comforted by the quilts. My prays and thoughts are with your family. Let us know what going on.
    God Bless

You've received a lot of good advice in this post. Take time to digest it. Put it to good use. If I were you, I'd let that lovely woman from Wisconsin design a quilt for you, and I'd let family members help you by adding quilt blocks. Now is not the time to be a hero. You need help in order to help your sister, and you weren't shy about asking for it here, rightfully so. You can't shoulder it alone. Others will want to help, so let them.

As an NP who has worked with cancer patients, I can tell you that 5 years is a very long time. Then there will be the follow-ups which will go on for years longer. You must not exhaust yourself. Your sister will have many needs, and you don't have to fulfill every one. You can coordinate. If you love to quilt and sew, that it great, because I can tell you that one lap quilt won't last 5 years under these circumstances, and she will need other things as well. A quilt to lie under on the couch at home would be lovely. Put that on your longer term "to do" list, and perhaps you can work on blocks while you wait for your sister in chemo. Perhaps that's another thing where other family members can add blocks. You'll have more time. You could incorporate picture blocks, do embroidery work, use pieces from the clothes of loved ones, that sort of thing.

She will also need head scarves. Even if her hair does not fall out, and I'm not saying it will. Not everyone experiences that side effect. It will depend on the chemo. If it does, she will REALLY need head scarves, lots of them, to coordinate with her clothes. They're easy to make, so make them bright and pretty and flattering to her skin. Even if her hair does not fall out, it is so nice to just throw a scarf over one's hair before you go to chemo. That way you don't have to fuss with your hair, you look neat, your "getting ready" time is reduced, and it's nice to know you look as good as you can without a lot of fuss. It's so important to these people to look as good as possible, really lifts their spirits. Fancy scarves around the neck in summer can do the same thing. Warm neck scarves in winter are wonderful for helping to keep people warm, and to help them look good. Does anyone in your family knit or crochet? Can you work out doing coordinated head and neck scarves. It's always awesome when you see that! And slippers and socks! Lovely to keep their feet warm, but don't forget to put those "grippers" on the bottom or the nurses will have to take them away (not that they want to) and give them those flimsy slippers with grips on the bottom. It's a safety issue. And if she still gets cold in chemo, because they are often done in big, open rooms that tend to get cold, get her some long underwear. It really helps. Keeping her cozy, especially in winter or air conditioning, and surrounding her with reminders of loving family, will do more to help her get through this than any medication the nurses could give her.

And check on the food situation. If she's there over lunch, but doesn't spend "X" hours in the outpatient setting, she may not get lunch from the hospital. (Talk about dumbest rules. . . ) Just warning you! Still, a little something from home may be the best thing for her, along with her favorite beverage. Take something she likes and her favorite beverage in any case. It will take you a while to figure out if there's any where you could buy a little lunch (or dinner) for her if she doesn't get hospital food (which is yucky anyway -- have eaten enough of it myself). And don't forget about yourself! You'll need to eat and drink while you're there! At the very least, take food and beverages with you the first couple of times, until you know the score. There's nothing worse than starving your way through chemo, and it doesn't usually give you nausea during the first treatments.

Make friends with the nurses there. They really are on your side.

Best of luck! You and your sister are in my prayers.
    MacThayer

Sorry to hear about your sister. Butterflies came to mind when I read your post.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingpost View Post
    How bout hearts you can't go wrong with them
    Hearts on a quilt make me feel comfy cozy inside!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Healing thoughts and prayers to your sister and the family.

MacThayer gave excellent suggestions. Another thought would be to make a quilt of flannel front and back, something that will drape easily and be warm to the touch. Batting may or may not be needed in this case, or maybe silk batting would still be warm/cool.

You could do an album quilt in her favorite colors, and put encouraging and uplifting messages from her friends and family on it.
    Bless, O Lord, the works of my hands....

P. C.

I would suggest something light - like polyester batting - and floral - maybe a four-patch posy because each square is enjoyable to look at on its own. Calming blues, some pink and/or green, and definitely a little yellow which is said to be good color for the depressed, for what that's worth. I would avoid anything mawkishly sentimental at this point - accentuate the positive.

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer and wish her the best
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Sorry about your sister, here is a colorful quilt I made gd.

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear of the diagnosis. My God hold you both close right now and through the whole process to recovery for her... He is faithful.

This is a quilt I made for a friend, to take to chemotherapy... Not your typical breast cancer quilt, and no pattern, just simple. But in the snowballs I wrote different scriptures that all pertained to God's healing, His promises, and faith. In a few of the snowballs I wrote, "Love", "Joy", "Hope". She is done with chemo now and recovered, but she still loves the quilt. You can see it here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...51-290000.html
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    What about a D9patch in florals? It would be a quick quilt to make.
    I made my sister a D9P for her chemo. I used a blue and pink (mostly blues) paisley for the corner squares, blue for the cross squares, and pink for the center square. She loved it. She passed away Jan. 25, 2011. The backing was light blue.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. Keep positive during this journey with her because treatments have come a long way. Help her to laugh as much as possible. I'm posting some easy and cheerful quilts that I've made.
    1. This quilt is made by making half square triangles using a cheery fabric with white. Then arrange them as diamonds.
    2. This is a scrappy using rectangles.
    3. This is a Bento Box using batiks.
    4. This is a trip around the World that you could make in her favorite color or colors.
    Good luck to you and your sister. Please post whatever you make for her.

Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I would like to suggest something with butterflies! Why?

For a butterfly to emerge beauiful with all of it's glorious colors it must go through the difficult process of emerging from it's crysalis (sorry about spelling). If one attempts to short cut the "birthing" process the butterfly will not be strong and not survive. The process is what makes it emerge BEAUTIFUL! God bless your sister and family.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast