Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t34872.html)

kbiederman 01-22-2010 10:41 PM

I am attempting to machine quilt for the first time and I am having so much dificulty! Even though I pinned it to death, the fabric is still bunching a little on the back, and I ended up just taking out what I have done so far. What do I do now? I was so excited to about learning this part of it, and now all I have it a backache. :? Thanks, Karen

amma 01-22-2010 10:49 PM

Are your pins no more than 4inches apart? I tried going further and it bunched up horribly.
Are you using a walking foot?

amma 01-22-2010 10:50 PM

Did you stretch the backing out and secure it before placing the batting and top on it?

memathomas 01-23-2010 02:38 AM

i use basting spray if it's not on a frame and safety pins and start in the middle of the quilt but i still stop and check it just in case.. i prefer a frame

mema

lisalovesquilting 01-23-2010 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Did you stretch the backing out and secure it before placing the batting and top on it?

This is good advice. A very important step.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-23-2010 07:00 AM

I was told to starch the backing like crazy. I've done that on each of my quilts and have not had a bunching problem.

LOTS of starch and LOTS MORE pins. I was told to make a fist. Anywhere you put your fist down, it should be touching pins.

shaverg 01-23-2010 07:07 AM

Do you have a walking foot? It will definitely bunch up on the back if you don't use a walking foot.

Marge Q 01-23-2010 07:15 AM

Maybe your bobbin tension is too tight. Are you using the same weight thread? You can purchase a special bobbin case for some machines for quilting/stippling.

I usually start in the center of the quilt and quilt outward.

When layering the quilt, I use masking tape to tape the corners of the backing to my kitchen floor; then place the batting on top, then the quilt top and pin. Next I flip it over to check for ripples and try to get it as smooth as possible. (My knees and back do not like this technique! LOL)

Hope this helps.

kbiederman 01-23-2010 08:16 AM

I did pin about every 5 inches, but did not secure the corners. I do not have a walking foot, and have not tried starching. Looks like I have a lot more to do to machine quilt it! I have a year old Singer Simple, works very well for what I have needed it for, but where do I find a walking foot? I am so thankful to have this board to ask, instead of spending years trying to figure what I'm doing wrong!! Thank you for taking the time to give all the awesome advice! Karen

shaverg 01-23-2010 08:21 AM

I think if you can get a walking foot you will notice a huge difference. My quilting friend who is brand new to quilting was having the same problem and was getting discouraged. I convinced or to get a walking foot. She has mad 12+ quilts in about 8 months now and she was a brand new quilter.

She now believes in the walking foot.