Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hexie templates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hexie-templates-t246683.html)

AZ Jane 05-12-2014 09:19 AM

Hexie templates

I have bunches of 2 1/2 inch squares already cut from past quilts. Was thinking along the lines of a postage stamp quilt. But now thinking Grandmas Garden. BUT what size hexies could I make with pre-cut 2.5 inch squares? My mind won't grab the math. I know you have to measure the biggest part of the hexie but................................

CoventryUK 05-12-2014 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I do mine! 1" hexes, 2 1/2" squares !! Works fine! I don't sew through the papers..just catch the corners and I don't cut excess fabric either!! Hope this helps!

CoventryUK 05-12-2014 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my quilt in progress!! A tip someone gave me.....if doing a scrap Grandmothers Flower Garden keep all the middle hexes the same colour...it helps to even out the design! ( mine are all red, but they could have been blue,green,yellow or whatever!)

toverly 05-12-2014 01:21 PM

Hi Coventry, are you making a little loop with the thread between the points? I have seen that technique but haven't given it a try yet. It looks so much easier the way you do it! Love your quilt!

CoventryUK 05-12-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 6713955)
Hi Coventry, are you making a little loop with the thread between the points? I have seen that technique but haven't given it a try yet. It looks so much easier the way you do it! Love your quilt!

Thankyou! It's a 'long term project'!!! I just do a couple of stitches across each corner....makes it easy to remove paper and can re- use them!!

ManiacQuilter2 05-12-2014 01:41 PM

Hi Coventry. Your quilt is very pretty. I did the traditional GFG with the first ring a solid color and then the second ring a reproduction print. I used plastic pop out templates because I didn't want to have to struggle to get the paper out. I had heard so many horrid stories on how difficult the paper was to remove.

sewplease 05-12-2014 04:42 PM

I do it the same way Hilary does. I bought a Fiskars large hexagon punch (it's 1" on the side and works with the 2.5" fabric squares) and make my own templates, usually out of magazine inserts. It's very easy to remove the paper when you don't stitch through the paper.

Nammie to 7 05-12-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK (Post 6713811)
This is how I do mine! 1" hexes, 2 1/2" squares !! Works fine! I don't sew through the papers..just catch the corners and I don't cut excess fabric either!! Hope this helps!

I like this way of doing the hexies! I think I will change to that method of stitching. I really like your work in progress. Thanks for the hint of keeping the centers in the same color. That makes sense. You can see how it makes the flowers coordinate but you don't realize it is happening.

kindleaddict63 05-12-2014 08:26 PM

I tried several different methods and like this method the best - hated sewing through the template.

CoventryUK 05-12-2014 11:45 PM

Thankyou for all your kind comments! I print my templates from www.texasfreckles.com they are free downloads and come in varying sizes. The 1" hexes print 15 to a sheet of A4 paper. I spend some nights cutting papers in front of TV other nights sewing hexes and some nights doing QB!!! Great life!!!! :)