Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hexie templates

Hexie templates

I have bunches of 2 1/2 inch squares already cut from past quilts. Was thinking along the lines of a postage stamp quilt. But now thinking Grandmas Garden. BUT what size hexies could I make with pre-cut 2.5 inch squares? My mind won't grab the math. I know you have to measure the biggest part of the hexie but................................
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

This is how I do mine! 1" hexes, 2 1/2" squares !! Works fine! I don't sew through the papers..just catch the corners and I don't cut excess fabric either!! Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hilary

This is my quilt in progress!! A tip someone gave me.....if doing a scrap Grandmothers Flower Garden keep all the middle hexes the same colour...it helps to even out the design! ( mine are all red, but they could have been blue,green,yellow or whatever!)
    Last edited by CoventryUK; 05-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Hilary

Hi Coventry, are you making a little loop with the thread between the points? I have seen that technique but haven't given it a try yet. It looks so much easier the way you do it! Love your quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    Hi Coventry, are you making a little loop with the thread between the points? I have seen that technique but haven't given it a try yet. It looks so much easier the way you do it! Love your quilt!
    Thankyou! It's a 'long term project'!!! I just do a couple of stitches across each corner....makes it easy to remove paper and can re- use them!!
    Hilary

Hi Coventry. Your quilt is very pretty. I did the traditional GFG with the first ring a solid color and then the second ring a reproduction print. I used plastic pop out templates because I didn't want to have to struggle to get the paper out. I had heard so many horrid stories on how difficult the paper was to remove.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I do it the same way Hilary does. I bought a Fiskars large hexagon punch (it's 1" on the side and works with the 2.5" fabric squares) and make my own templates, usually out of magazine inserts. It's very easy to remove the paper when you don't stitch through the paper.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    This is how I do mine! 1" hexes, 2 1/2" squares !! Works fine! I don't sew through the papers..just catch the corners and I don't cut excess fabric either!! Hope this helps!
    I like this way of doing the hexies! I think I will change to that method of stitching. I really like your work in progress. Thanks for the hint of keeping the centers in the same color. That makes sense. You can see how it makes the flowers coordinate but you don't realize it is happening.

I tried several different methods and like this method the best - hated sewing through the template.

Thankyou for all your kind comments! I print my templates from www.texasfreckles.com they are free downloads and come in varying sizes. The 1" hexes print 15 to a sheet of A4 paper. I spend some nights cutting papers in front of TV other nights sewing hexes and some nights doing QB!!! Great life!!!!
    Hilary

Your quilt is beautiful. I make my hexes the same way. I use 2 1/2" squares for 2" hexes. This site has free print out and I use card paper stock. http://www.patchworkposse.com/2013/0...-for-quilting/
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

..now I am looking for the diamond shape that could compliment a hexie design..I know I could make a template, but hopefully there is a source of those already cut out and sold....anyone know a site?

dd
    What thread do you use to sew the hexies? Plain all purpose thread or quilting thread?
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

lots of good tips here...while on the texas freckles site, I scrolled down the the fractured quilt....how neat!

Name:  hexes may 13 2014 028.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  222.4 KBYour quilt is lovely.
    I started sewing the scrappy hexes,I am making, together. I am using a decorative stitch on my machine. I am using multi colored thread. I really love,the hand work it takes, to make the blocks. judy j

I made a quilt with all 1" hexies and I cut 2.5 inch strips then cut the hexie out of the material. I like cutting the material in the shape of the hexie. I whip stitch them together and tie a not at each end. I have found out that I love hexies.

Quote Originally Posted by judith ann View Post
    Name:  hexes may 13 2014 028.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  222.4 KBYour quilt is lovely.
    I started sewing the scrappy hexes,I am making, together. I am using a decorative stitch on my machine. I am using multi colored thread. I really love,the hand work it takes, to make the blocks. judy j
    judith ann, I love the look of the decorative machine stitch you used to join the hexies! A different look and would be a little quicker than hand stitching them together. Thanks for a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
    I made a quilt with all 1" hexies and I cut 2.5 inch strips then cut the hexie out of the material. I like cutting the material in the shape of the hexie. I whip stitch them together and tie a not at each end. I have found out that I love hexies.
    Wow! That is stunning!! Beautiful work!!
    Hilary

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  1.64 MB My on the go hexie box. I like to use the Fiscar 1 inch paper punch tool and the 2 1/2 inch pre cut Blocks

Blog Entries
    I use the 3/4" punch found in the scrapbooking section. right now i'm just doing three, one on top of two design. i did GMFG and my cat owns it now. she looked great on it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Thanks Coventry! I always thought the stitches went thru the paper. Guess I need to do a little more research. Just in time for tomorrow when I have to sit with my Father in Law. I agree, it's a great life!

Coventry - love your method and also the tip on the centers of the flowers. Your quilt looks awesome!

On Quilting Arts episode 1308 called Quilting Simplified, Julia Woods shows how to do hexies from circles-no templates or papers/plastic needed. If I decide to do hexies I am doing it this way. Also due to weight I would think batting would not be needed unless you want a VERY warm quilt. She also has a book that shows this method. It is easy enough if you watch the show that the book probably wouldn't be needed unless you need more instructions or the patterns.

Coventry, do you remove the basting at all? Do you press well after removing the paper? I am sooo close to starting one of these to use up stash....probably won't make a dent, but at one time I was cutting my stash into either 2" or 2.5" strips....just have to dig out the boxes of them. I made the quilt called Insanity, and used Inklingo to print them on fabric...1/2" pieces! So I'm looking for something to make a little larger. Love your quilt! Looks really crisp, too.
    Deanna in SE Michigan

I like the idea of a fiskars punch to make the templates! Thanks for sharing all your lovlies!
    Carol in Michigan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast