Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hobby Lobby Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hobby-lobby-fabric-t248495.html)

KimS 06-15-2014 10:26 AM

Hobby Lobby Fabric

We just got a Hobby Lobby here and I'm so excited!!! At last I have a place to get quilting supplies and they've got a really nice selection of fabric but I do want to ask everyone a question about their fabric. Have you used it? Does it seem to be good quality? Has it held up well in your quilts that have been washed several times? Thanks!!! :)

Lori S 06-15-2014 10:29 AM

Hobby Lobby carries lots of manufactures of quilt fabric. Some very good , some just OK. Its tough to make a blanket statement on all of the fabric they carry.

linda8450 06-15-2014 10:30 AM

I have used it, some is better than others, as anywhere. I try to feel and judge the thread count, not too flimsy, not too stiff, etc. I have used several pieces and mixed it with quilt store quality and don't seem to be able to tell a difference in the washed product. Joanns and Hancocks as well, try to get the best for your $$. I do love Hobby Lobby, ours is just a year or so old and I love it!

athomenow 06-15-2014 10:36 AM

I bought a bunch of close out Christmas fabrics years ago and I'm still using some of them. They were very nice quality and have held up well in table runners and placemats. I have also bought some of their cottons but JoAnn's is closer so I don't go as much as I should to check it out. I'd say buy some and try it out. Can't be worse than some other places.

Quilty-Louise 06-15-2014 10:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I love their fabric!

Never had any problems with it, and I buy it ALL the time.

Here are some of my recent fabric purchases from HL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479227[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479228[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]479229[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]479230[/ATTACH]

I am making aprons with these fabrics all with the BBQ theme fabric
(in first picture on the right).

luvstoquilt 06-15-2014 10:42 AM

I have never had a problem with their fabric.

Terri D. 06-15-2014 11:01 AM

Agree with Lori S. It's hit or miss.

One thing I like about having a Hobby Lobby close by is that they offer their cotton solids at 30% off every day. I pop in there every so often to purchase a yard or two of white or cream plus one or two other colors to use for pattern testing, learning how to make a block I've never made before, or trying out a new tool or ruler--better than wasting your good fabric.

TexasSunshine 06-15-2014 11:17 AM

I have used plenty of HL fabric and really like it and have had no problems.

Auntevie 06-15-2014 11:25 AM

I have used it and really like it. But I honestly do not trust the quality of fabrics at joannes

citruscountyquilter 06-15-2014 11:26 AM

I have purchased from Hobby Lobby. It is not quilt shop quality, more like the quality one finds at JoAnn's, Walmart etc. It depends on what I'm making. If I'm going to put in a lot of work on a quilt then I'm most likely going to use higher quality fabric. If it is for a wall hanging, table runner, pot holders etc then I'm not as fussy. They often have good sales on batting by the yard and I have used that (Warm and Natural/White). It will never replace a quilt shop for me but it is certainly a source that I shop for and purchase fabric.