Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Honey, could you please go to the basement and get the pliers so I can... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/honey-could-you-please-go-basement-get-pliers-so-i-can-t190372.html)

momto5 05-30-2012 04:18 PM

I've joined your ranks...only with a long arm...fun, fun, fun!

kateyb 05-31-2012 05:31 AM

It has been a few year since I sewed my finger. I have also dropped my rotary cutter when open while barefoot. I wear shoes when cutting now.

margee 05-31-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth (Post 5253753)
Rotary cutters are something else we use carefully.

Ditto. When I first started taking quilting lessons & learned about the rotary cutter, the lady at my LQS told me: "now this is go to the hospital sharp. Be careful."

SouthPStitches 05-31-2012 06:13 AM

So we can consider quilting an Extreme Sport?!

SuzyQ 05-31-2012 06:54 AM

Ouch! I'm happy to say I haven't joined this club ... yet! Hope your finger is better today! I am a member of the cutting the end off your finger with the rotary cutter club though LOL

Suzy

Nanaquilts44 05-31-2012 07:46 AM

Oh I hope your finger is feeling better now. I am always afraid I will do that too! Take care.

Tartan 05-31-2012 08:16 AM

Ooooowie! It does happen so fast that it doesn't hurt going in, it's the taking it out that smarts!!!! I saw a story on the news this week about a beautiful baby girl that just died from whopping cough. They say for adults you should get your shots updated every 10 years. I know it's been more than that for me so I am going to update. Babies can't get their shot until 2months so they are vulnerable if they are exposed.

MaryLane 05-31-2012 01:54 PM

Ouch! I don't think I have ever sewn my finger. I did tear up one right after I got my embroidery machine by reaching down before it was done cutting the thread and pulling it out of the way. No needle, just the mechanism.

But, I am a frequent flier with the rotary cutter. Somehow I seem to knick my knuckles a lot.

irishrose 05-31-2012 02:31 PM

I buried a needle in the bone when sewing a silk organza wedding dress, so not bleeding on it was a priority. I sat there attached to the machine and called for my sleeping family. No luck, so I had to reach around with my free hand and remove the needle. I woke my husband with a needle in one hand and pliers in the other. I remember it throbbing for a few days. My sympathy to you.

alisonquilts 05-31-2012 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5256543)
I buried a needle in the bone when sewing a silk organza wedding dress

!!!!!

That's horrifying! I have sewn my finger (just flesh) once or twice, but generally get more injured while handquilting - the bottom hand gets pricked so often that it bleeds. I've also had several thimble failures where the needle ended up embedded in my finger...through the thimble. Thus I know that a person's own saliva contains the necesary enzymes to dissolve their own blood. Next time you bleed on your fabric, drool all over it and you will not have a stain.

Alison