Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Housework (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/housework-t107109.html)

Minnisewta 03-13-2011 07:06 AM

My house use to be cleaner but it isn't that way now. It still looks clean and I'm the only one that knows how bad it is. My husband and son help out when asked. I cleaned house for a few years, a rich retired Dr. and wife. The house was well over 100 years and had 9 bathrooms, including one in the garage. Between the damage to my body from cleaning and the fact that I hate doing it now, it just didn't get done. Try and think that in 50 years will anyone say she had a dusty house? No, but they might say she made beautiful quilts. And don't forget the dust is a protective layer on your furniture and should not be removed.

luvstoquilt 03-13-2011 07:09 AM

Look at it this way...quilt when you want...when your house gets so dirty that you have to clean it, everyone notices how clean it is. If it is always perfect no one notices how hard you work. My mother used to say "make the beds, clean the kitchen and bathrooms and the rest of the house will take care of itself".

charley1 03-13-2011 07:21 AM

I do the picking up every morning but it is just the dog and me so no big deal. One room deep clean at a time

steelecg 03-13-2011 07:23 AM

Thanks for the Flylady tips - we need this at our house

Jamiestitcher62 03-13-2011 07:30 AM

OMG, that's me. I used to be sooo good about cleaning to keep my house clean "for my man". Yea, well after 25 years and one very messy son (he's moved out). I don't care anymore.

I work full-time, take classes, cross stitch, quilt and needlepoint and bowl twice a week, I don't have time to clean up after a hubby and 2 cats.

I would never hire a housekeeper though, because I'd have to make sure the house was clean before I'd even let her in the door. Stupid....I know.

We don't have any company come to our house anymore so it's not like it needs to be spotless.

I just spent 4 hours cleaning 3 bathrooms and one entire bedroom top to bottom. I can't believe how much dust gets under a bed and behind stuff. Now my back and shoulders hurt and I need to sit down and sew today. Oh well.

wonderwoman 03-13-2011 08:02 AM

That is exactly what I am lamenting about today. I don't think I've vacuumed in a month. My house doesn't look too bad as long as I don't put my glasses on to inspect. I really need to clean.... Thanks for mentioning this. My husband likes a clean kitchen so he helps take care of that for me.

JanP 03-13-2011 08:08 AM

Vacuuming sucks! ;)

I keep my vacuum cleaner out so if anyone comes over, it looks like I'm busy cleaning.

And when someone says you can eat off their floor, I say there's lots of food on mine too!

pollym44 03-13-2011 08:12 AM

People would tell me "you could eat off the floors". I WAS a cleaning nut. But quilting and age made me realize, with 2 g-kids, I can't do like I use to. So I pick up, put up and keep quilting. :lol:

Para722 03-13-2011 08:13 AM

My husband does it all so I can quilt. And no He is not for sale.

mistycatbaby 03-13-2011 08:46 AM

Flylady is marvellous. I've been on that link for a few years. My motto is fifteen minutes at a time.