Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How could he??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-could-he-t278084.html)

cathyre 04-25-2016 09:05 PM

My husband knows if they are not beige handles he is not allow to cut with them , of it means sudden death in out house.

Chasing Hawk 04-25-2016 09:10 PM

When I read about how some here go bonkers over their scissors. I think of that Pace Picante sauce commercial.........about getting a rope.........lol

Peckish 04-25-2016 09:17 PM

I'm with Chasing Hawk... why not just have him pay for the sharpening?

Mimi Sews 04-25-2016 09:31 PM

That's one of my biggest pet peeves! My kids have done that on more than one occasion. I feel your pain.

OhCanada 04-25-2016 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7533400)
Yes, make him buy you a new pair right now, not at Christmas. He should know the cost of ruining your favorite scissors.

I agree - if he pays for his mistake then that is the best reminder not to repeat it.

DOTTYMO 04-25-2016 11:10 PM

Put a big label on saying do not touch.

giquilt 04-26-2016 02:35 AM

I bought a pair of these and could not understand the big deal. Then found out they were defective. The new pair is wonderful😃 They can not be sharped due to the teeth. I agree he should pay for a replacement now.

Bree123 04-26-2016 03:32 AM

There are some sharpening services that have the right tools to sharpen serrated blades. If you ask around at guild or LQS, you might find one. I have one in Chicago (Northwestern Cutlery) that does it, but it would cost $19 in shipping if you don't live in the area plus $3.50 to sharpen so at that point you may as well just get a new pair of scissors. The shipping cost is really only worthwhile if you are sending several knives/scissors out to be sharpened at once.

I would task him with finding a solution to your now dull scissors... especially since they were in your sewing space. I had to label all my scissors for a while until family members eventually learned the difference between sewing scissors, kitchen shears & paper scissors. Took waaaaaay too long for them to learn, if you ask me. :p But eventually they got the hint from all my "annoying" little labels telling them what's what.

luvstoquilt 04-26-2016 04:08 AM

My family never touched my scissors. Penalty was to terrible to face! My 11 yr old DGD has started sewing with me and I gave her my late mother's scissors. I told her to never cut anything but fabric with them. Her mother picked them up to cut something out of a magazine. Quick as a wink she screamed "Don't cut paper with my scissors. In fact, do not use my sewing scissors please."

quilterpurpledog 04-26-2016 04:11 AM

I had a quilting friend who was here for a 'sew in' try to use my Gingher snips to open a package of snaps. She should have known better because she was a sewer. I was pretty upset. So now, when the ladies are coming I put away items that I really care about like my Gingher scissors. It saves hard feelings.