Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I keep my fabric from getting stuck? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-keep-my-fabric-getting-stuck-t136124.html)

jhoward 07-09-2011 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by eastermarie
Use the scrap of fabric at the beginning of the chain. Place the needle in the middle of that fabric and sew to the edge. Have your piece ready to be picked up within the next couple of stitches. This way the feed dogs are still feeding the scrap all the way to the back while picking up the new fabric to start. I too was frustrated by this on my machine. I didn't have a single hole plate, just a zig-zag hole. It does eat up the fabric. When you're done with that chain, snip the scrap off and use it to start the next one. You can use it until it is completely full of threads. It's good to have a couple of these handy because they can seem to get away from you.

I also use a small piece of paper or stablizer, just scraps. Works well.

jitkaau 07-09-2011 04:59 AM

Use a leader waste piece and purchase a single hole plate.

janeknapp 07-09-2011 05:19 AM

Be sure to have a very small space (a stitch or two spacing) between each piece of your chain.

vmquilts 07-09-2011 05:37 AM

first don't cut them into triangle yet. cut squares first then draw diagonally / once, right sides together and sew 1/4" down both sides then cut on drawn line and press open. if squared up it is to be a 2 1/2 inches the cut both fabrics into 2 7/8". you get 2 1/2 square triangles. hold your thread as you begin. learned the hard way, and ripped a bunch up.

Nan Quilts 07-09-2011 06:43 AM

Use the scrap of fabric at the beginning of the chain. Place the needle in the middle of that fabric and sew to the edge. Have your piece ready to be picked up within the next couple of stitches. This way the feed dogs are still feeding the scrap all the way to the back while picking up the new fabric to start. I too was frustrated by this on my machine. I didn't have a single hole plate, just a zig-zag hole. It does eat up the fabric. When you're done with that chain, snip the scrap off and use it to start the next one. You can use it until it is completely full of threads. It's good to have a couple of these handy because they can seem to get away from you.

This is what I do too and my fabric never gets caught in the feed dogs. It was a tip I saw on the Fons & Porter TV show. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

jpthequilter 07-09-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
I am doing a ton of half square trianges with my Fons & Porter ruler. LOVE it by the way :)

But because I am chain piecing the ends I put in keep getting caught in the feed dogs. I do lift the foot first - and I don't even put in the side with the sharp point. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It seems like it is almost better when I go faster but I don't have as much control that way . . any idea's?

Depends on your machine, but try this: DON'T lift the foot between triangles. When you get to the end of one seam, simply stop, and just poke the beginning of the next triangle seam as close to the needle as you can, and sew that one, and the next and next.... You can use a bodkin or wooden skewer to slide it into place.
Just be sure the ends of the seams match up.
If you pin, put them at least an inch in from the ends.
Curiously, the points sew easy this way!

jpthequilter 07-09-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
I am doing a ton of half square trianges with my Fons & Porter ruler. LOVE it by the way :)

But because I am chain piecing the ends I put in keep getting caught in the feed dogs. I do lift the foot first - and I don't even put in the side with the sharp point. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It seems like it is almost better when I go faster but I don't have as much control that way . . any idea's?

Depends on your machine, but try this: DON'T lift the foot between triangles. When you get to the end of one seam, simply stop, and just poke the beginning of the next triangle seam as close to the needle as you can, and sew that one, and the next and next.... You can use a bodkin or wooden skewer to slide it into place.
Just be sure the ends of the seams match up.
If you pin, put them at least an inch in from the ends.
Curiously, the points sew easy this way!

njgrl4evr 07-09-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
do you have a throat plate with a single needle hole. If so change to that if not using now

I saw this suggestion in a discussion on this site a few months ago, so I bought one for my Pfaff and I can't believe what a difference it made. Worth every $$ I spent!
Just remember to remove it before you try to use a decorative or ziz-zag stitch.

Halo 07-09-2011 11:45 AM

I always use a header & ender when sewing anything. The ender peace ends up as the header for the next thing I sew. For the headers, I use either two 2" squares or the triangles cut off other projects. Once you get lots of these sewn together, you can make a whole new project out of them. Saves on fabric & thread.

QuiltnLady1 07-09-2011 12:05 PM

This is what I do too -- I don't like the single hole plate since I want a scant 1/4" so I just use "sew on - sew offs" (also called "leaders and enders")