Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-all-keep-your-sandwiches-together-tightly-t52574.html)

Carol W 07-04-2010 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I use the Elmers Craft Bond spray glue. It is acid free and does not gum up my needle and since the word quilt is not on there anywhere in big letters, it is relatively inexpensive. Add QUILT and the price seems to double.

Can you find it anywhere?

sewcrafty 07-04-2010 05:24 AM

I know I have some that I purchased at WalMart. That's when they had a sewing/craft section though. Used it for school projects for my son and never gave it a thought about trying it out on a quilt though. I also use the curved basting pins when I sandwich my quilt.

jmlinn 07-04-2010 06:01 AM

I starch my backing, Magic sizing does a nice job and it is very inexpensive, then I use binder clips to clip my backing to a table. I then lay my batting on that and smooth it out, and binder clip that to the backing (just use the same ones). Then I starch the quilt top and lay it on top of the sandwich and clip that too. Sometimes I use spray adhesive, sometimes I don't. Then I start pinning. I leave all of of the pins open until I have it all pinned and then I close them all. Release your clips and quilt. I have used this for table runners and have just used it on a quilt that is about 60 x 60 and no puckers or anything on the back!! Hope that helps.

Julie

Boston1954 07-04-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
I have to laugh when I read your topic 'how to hold a sandwich together' I had just finished eating fresh tomato sandwich, and you know how messy that can be. My thought was I need this info now. My laugh for today.

Whatever you do, don't put pins in your tomato sandwich. (btw I love them too)

Pam 07-04-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Carol W

Originally Posted by Pam
I use the Elmers Craft Bond spray glue. It is acid free and does not gum up my needle and since the word quilt is not on there anywhere in big letters, it is relatively inexpensive. Add QUILT and the price seems to double.

Can you find it anywhere?

I get my craft glue in the scrapbooking dept at Walmart.

Carol W 07-04-2010 06:28 AM

Thanks!! I'll look for it.

Beebee 07-04-2010 06:54 AM

I do mine on the dining room table by just smoothing it again and again till it is smooth NOT STRETCHED. Then I pin with lots and lots of pins and have never had a problem. Sometimes I find when I try to do things so perfectly I find myself in trouble like you are now having. I have learned to relax.
You will be surprised how great things will turn out when you relax and HAVE FUN with this craft. Hugs and luck go out to you.

steelecg 07-04-2010 06:59 AM

spray basting is the trick

gma7 07-04-2010 08:07 AM

I also use the basting spray but read on another board to use cheap hairspray from the dollar store. Tried it - it washed out and did not gum up my needle.

Mary Hostetler 07-04-2010 09:34 AM

I have tried that, but I have found that a quilt gun, that shoots out little plastic things keeps my quilts together pretty well. As I said the spray gums up my needles. I have a long arm and I don't have to bother when I use that because all the layers are put on different rollers seperatly and then some together as you quilt. But there are many times when I'd rather hand quilt.
I can't seem to handle the bulk of a quilt under my sewing machine and don't seem to be able to control it to quilt like I want to.