Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you buy your batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-buy-your-batting-t261901.html)

ManiacQuilter2 02-28-2015 09:16 AM

I use to buy the larger roll of Hobbs Batting 80/20 (30 yds) but now I like the smaller 15 yard roll but haven't been able to find it for sale anywhere. My local JAF doesn't seem to carry it anymore in So CA. Buying it the bag is always a problem trying to remove the wrinkles. They roll it up instead of nicely folding like W&N.

AngeliaNR 03-01-2015 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 7108285)
I wish I had space for a roll, because it's probably the best way to use it without ending up with a bunch of narrow leftovers. But I have a tiny house and mostly buy Queen size packages of Hobbs 80/20.

I also live in a very small house, so I have to get creative: Meet Mr. Batting!

I keep my roll in a closet, but right now I'm busy cleaning out all the batting pieces and piecing them for use. He'll go in the closet soon--once I take off the outer plastic wrap, he will expand.

I decided that since he was living in my living room, I'd try to make him a part of the family. :) He looks big and bulky, but he's a softie at heart. He gives and gives, even as I take and take.

franklindixie 03-01-2015 06:49 PM

Interesting that few of the posts mention the QUALITY of the batting, only the price. Rub some swatches of different brands between your fingers. Try warm & natural, Fairfield products, Hobbs & dream cotton. When you figure out which is the softest, smoothest, most drape able batting (my favorite is Dream Cotton), stock up when it's on sale at the LQS. Piece leftovers together for smaller projects. Use leftovers for quilt as you go this way you can save $ w/o sacrificing quality. And tiny scraps are great for dusting, removing nail polish & cleaning the dogs' ears

Onebyone 03-02-2015 05:40 AM

I use all types of the Hobbs batting. I buy it in the package by size. It's easier for me to store it in individual packages.

AngeliaNR, love your sense of fun!

lakekids 03-02-2015 06:52 AM

I buy by the roll online. The last time I got lucky and got free shipping on a roll of Dream Wool.

Buckeye Rose 03-02-2015 07:20 AM

Buying by the rolll would be great for several reasons, but that limits you to one kind of batting. I make all kinds of quilts, with some needing the flatter and cooler 80/20 type and some needing the warmth or loft of poly. So I buy it by the bag, usually Hobbs from Connecting Threads when it is on sale.

Dina 03-03-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7110860)
I also live in a very small house, so I have to get creative: Meet Mr. Batting!

I keep my roll in a closet, but right now I'm busy cleaning out all the batting pieces and piecing them for use. He'll go in the closet soon--once I take off the outer plastic wrap, he will expand.

I decided that since he was living in my living room, I'd try to make him a part of the family. :) He looks big and bulky, but he's a softie at heart. He gives and gives, even as I take and take.

Oh, I like Mr. Batting. He looks so friendly!!

Dina

Becky's Crafts 03-03-2015 10:46 AM

I live in a camper, so room is precious. I quilt a lot and take advantage of sales. Connecting Thread has sales for 30% off & that's when I stock up. Sometimes I even get the free shipping if I need something else! Works well for me!

joyce888 03-03-2015 11:59 AM

I buy 90% off the roll. When I did the 2 queen and 1 king quilts I bought packaged so I wouldn't have to piece them. I'm also a coupon shopper and only buy when it's on sale or I have a 50% off coupon.

Sbaker1497 04-14-2015 04:30 PM

Do you buy your batting roll from the store or online? My store will only sell the roll using a pay by the yard amount?