Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-carry-swatches-fabric-matching-t162598.html)

eastermarie 10-23-2011 10:24 AM

When I try to match up batiks for a banner, I take the pieces that I have in a bag over to the shop in Wytheville and lay them out in a corner and pull bolts that will blend with what I have or make a better choice than what I already have. I've done this process several times. The ladies there offer assistance when I need it. I always let them know what I've brought with me and let them see it. Then I ask if it will be alright to try and match some of their fabrics to go with my project. They have never told me no.

javin22 10-23-2011 10:25 AM

These are great ideas. Thanks

valsma 10-23-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dahlshouse
I have been looking for a good way to carry swatches with me to quilt shops to match when I need additional fabrics for a project in the works.. I rarely buy coordinating fabric when I initially pick one up...(as usually do this on a shop hop)... figure to get others when I am ready to start that quilt...
Also wonder what is your favorite or best way you have found to take a small swatch of main fabric
Thank you in advance for all your ideas... such a great group of people on this board...

Thank you for asking this question, I have been wondering this myself for some time. Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas.

Raggiemom 10-23-2011 10:42 AM

I just snip a small square and toss in my purse.

GwynR 10-23-2011 11:14 AM

I usually take a small piece of each and put them on a safety pin. Pin that to the top inside of my purse, and it's easy to get too. Sometimes I don't even have to unpin it to match!

Glassquilt 10-23-2011 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I carry my samples in a manilla folder.

LLWinston44 10-23-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt

Ok how do you incorporate paint chips???

jdiane318 10-23-2011 12:13 PM

I take 1.5 inch strips about 2" long and sew each piece of fabric that I am wanting to match together in a long strip. I then take a marker and write how much fabric I need of the matching fabric. Then I safety pin it to my lapel for easy access.

dogpursemaker 10-23-2011 12:19 PM

I have a fairly simple method-though after seeing Glassquilt's picture, mine probably won't work! I have one of the small reusable grocery/lunch bags. I keep my fabrics in there, but I don't have swatches. I take the entire piece(s) with me, but my little bag easily holds 6+ yards.

Glassquilt 10-23-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44

Originally Posted by Glassquilt

Ok how do you incorporate paint chips???

I asked for paint chips so I knew we are both talking about the same color. There are so many shades.

When I find a fabric I carry it to a window and compare with the chip and fabrics. The chip keeps me on the right track - too easy to find fabrics that look good together but aren't true to the originally requested color.