Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-carry-swatches-fabric-matching-t162598.html)

Dina 10-23-2011 12:38 PM

I safety pin small pieces of fabric together and toss them in my purse. Yeah, I usually lose them in there, but eventually I find them. If I am looking for border fabric, I take my whole quilt top.

mamacool 10-23-2011 01:46 PM

I cut a two inch sq and tape over it with clear packing tape, punch a hole in it and put it on a ring that opens and snaps closed. I take them off when the project is complete

LLWinston44 10-23-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt

Originally Posted by LLWinston44

I carry my samples in a manilla folder.

Ok how do you incorporate paint chips???

I asked for paint chips so I knew we are both talking about the same color. There are so many shades.

When I find a fabric I carry it to a window and compare with the chip and fabrics. The chip keeps me on the right track - too easy to find fabrics that look good together but aren't true to the originally requested color.

You asked for the paint chips from who??

Digitizingqueen 10-23-2011 02:03 PM

I feb been know to take a block from the quilt to match fabric (if I am missing borders or something other wise I take generous cuts of each to match - audition needed fabrics

piepatch 10-23-2011 02:03 PM

Baggies

dahlshouse 10-23-2011 02:04 PM

I like the paint chip idea.. i have trouble sometimes with shades.. this would be great ..

Originally Posted by LLWinston44

I carry my samples in a manilla folder.

Ok how do you incorporate paint chips???

I asked for paint chips so I knew we are both talking about the same color. There are so many shades.

When I find a fabric I carry it to a window and compare with the chip and fabrics. The chip keeps me on the right track - too easy to find fabrics that look good together but aren't true to the originally requested color.

slk350 10-23-2011 02:24 PM

I usually cut small strips of fabric 1 1/2" X 3" and staple the pieces of a piece of paper. I like the brag book idea, though.

gramajo 10-23-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by eastermarie
When I try to match up batiks for a banner, I take the pieces that I have in a bag over to the shop in Wytheville and lay them out in a corner and pull bolts that will blend with what I have or make a better choice than what I already have. I've done this process several times. The ladies there offer assistance when I need it. I always let them know what I've brought with me and let them see it. Then I ask if it will be alright to try and match some of their fabrics to go with my project. They have never told me no.

This is what I do also. I also take the pattern w/notes written on it to remind me of how much fabric I already have & what I need to purchase. Having a larger piece of fabric(s) helps me visualize better how the new fabric will look with what I have already chosen.

sewingsuz 10-23-2011 02:47 PM

I use baggie also. I use baggies for everything.

alices 10-23-2011 02:49 PM

Learn something new everyday! Thanks