Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Decide On Your Next Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-decide-your-next-quilt-t106759.html)

Bobbielinks 03-12-2011 05:50 PM

A while back I made a list of the quilts in my magazines that I want to make and have not yet purchased fabric for, but before I will allow myself to make one from that list I promised myself that I would complete about 10 UFO and make up the quilts that I do have the fabric and patterns for but had not yet started any part of them. So I made another list listing the projects I have started or have the patterns and fabrics. This second list is quiet long so I made a third list; choose 5 projects (3 that I had started at one time or another and 2 new projects). I'm am working from this third list: when I complete the 2 UFO's I get to start a new project, when the new project is completed I do the other 2 UfO's and then the second new project. This is working very well for me - I am about ready to start working on the next 5 projects from the third list.

wildyard 03-12-2011 07:17 PM

My list is of people I want to make a quilt for. It is usually superceded by finding someone who is sick and needs a quilt sooner. My pattern selection is based on what fabrics I have to work with. Usually a controlled scrappy of some kind, often made up as I go. LOL.
I have a folder full of lovely quilt patterns I would like to make, but they rarely conform to my stash and/or the requests I get for special quilts for special persons.

csharp 03-12-2011 07:39 PM

I get inspired by what I see and learn here or what I want to learn, and away I go ...usually select the pattern, shop for the fabric, and work on it till it's done. Try to stay with one project at a time, that's all I have room for. Pictures on this board have been a great influence.

MerryQuilter 03-12-2011 07:41 PM

Often gifts so when needed.

audsgirl 03-12-2011 09:29 PM

I keep a written list of possible quilts and where to find the pattern. Sometimes I get an idea from one of my kids about something they would like. And sometimes I stumble across an idea or fabric that just screams "Make me now!"

dhanke 03-13-2011 12:35 AM

I lay awake at night thinking of all the quilts I want to make, the hard part is making a decision. I usually have a "deadline" project in the works along with 2 or 3 other wip's. I like to have the variety of working on several quilts in different stages.

Rose L 03-13-2011 01:14 AM

My list of people and events that I have to make quilts for is so long that to this day I have never made a quilt for myself except for one wall hanging. Now that I can long arm them they should go faster and by the end of the year everyone in my family will have one. THEN, I can think of making something that I want for myself. Fabrics speak to me and then I find or develope patterns I can use them in. That's a little backwards I think. It's much easier to design a pattern or purchase one and then go get the fabric for it but that just doesn't happen for me very often. I guess I just frustrate myself. Ha!

Tropical 03-13-2011 01:46 AM

I have lots of ideas floating around in my head and finally one will takes over and that is the one I make. The quilt top that is because I'm still trying to work out "My" technique for basting one to be quilted.

Becky Crafts 03-13-2011 05:17 AM

I keep a list in my head of ones I like & hope to do, then prioritize as to what's needed next. Just finished a play mat for a Christmas 2011 gift this morning, have fabric laid out for DH quilt to be cut later & then it's a Sunday Best-Sunbonnet Sue for DGGD due in mid May. After that...two more baby quilts before July. Then I can start another from MY list. :-)