Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do you know what your style is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-know-what-your-style-t194587.html)

Lori S 07-14-2012 09:50 AM

I have no style.. I make what ever suits my fancy at that time... Go with what you like..you can't go wrong that way. As a quilter you will find that you will drift from colors, styles etc ... that part of the fun and intregue!

audsgirl 07-14-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5364115)
What possible difference does it make? They are as many quilting "styles" as there are quilters...certainly scads more than just two.

People change, styles change, tastes change, everything changes...faster now than ever. It serves no purpose at all to put yourself in any kind of labeled box. As long as you can describe what you're talking about with words and pictures so that others understand you, there is no need for labels.

I agree completely. I have found over time, though I've only been quilting for 14 years, that my taste in fabrics and designs has moved on to other types. Just do what appeals to you. And as you get more experience, your abilities will improve and you may feel adventurous and want to try something else.

ShabbyTabby 07-14-2012 11:39 AM

I guess I'm on the "traditional" side as I really don't care for abstract, modern quilts. I like the old patterns best. I don't do applique and don't do art quilts...I'm just a plain old country gal and like the ones my Mom and Grandma made.

Jackie Spencer 07-14-2012 01:44 PM

Oh my gosh I like everything. My home is Shabby Chic, mauves, sage, cream and pink. But one of my most favorite fabric lines is Kansas troubles. I love the old traditional patterns, but have made lots of primitive looking quilts, crows and sheep etc. I love fabric and all kinds of quilts!

slicksister 07-14-2012 02:34 PM

I have been a scrapbooker and paper crafter for many years and developed my "style" in that art form. It made finding my quilt style much easier. I consider myself a Modern quilter who likes straight lines, no borders, lots of white, sashing, and most of the fabrics I use have white in them. I also use white, grey or some other form of solid for a neutral.

ube quilting 07-14-2012 03:00 PM

I have no preference on style. After finding a fabric or pattern I love, the quilt grows from there. I never really plan a quilt. They usually start with a fabric and another and another......

I like all styles of fabric so I might do a quilt that is all polka- dots and then do one in batiks and then a scrappy. It is all good.
peace

GagaSmith 07-14-2012 03:36 PM

Don't try to pigeonhole yourself. Make whatever you like and makes you happy. you don't need to refer to any as a "style."

burchquilts 07-15-2012 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5364610)
Oh my gosh I like everything. My home is Shabby Chic, mauves, sage, cream and pink. But one of my most favorite fabric lines is Kansas troubles. I love the old traditional patterns, but have made lots of primitive looking quilts, crows and sheep etc. I love fabric and all kinds of quilts!

That sounds alot like me. I LOVE KS Troubles, but of course, first in my heart are Civil War repros, followed by 30's repros. I normally don't think of myself as a "modern" quilter but I recently got a book that has rather modern-looking quilts in it (made from components rather than blocks) & I love it (tho I can't for the life of me remember the name of it right now... LOL!). I tend to go in spurts... shabby chic, batiks, simple patterns, applique. I know there are some people who are strictly one "style" but I'm not one of them.

wraez 07-15-2012 02:50 AM

I think my style is best described as 'eclectic', it changes as easily as a breeze depending on my mood, the day, the season or whatever strikes my fancy.
[h=1][/h]

Juliebelle 07-15-2012 02:57 AM

I have been quilting for about 14 years and I still do not have a defined style, I make what appeals to me and I do tend to go more to the bright side. Like others have said if pressed I would say I am more contemporary.