Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you make your quilt labels? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-make-your-quilt-labels-t233041.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 10-24-2013 05:15 AM

I take a piece of cloth and iron it onto freezer paper. I always have a written piece of paper under the freezer paper with everything I want to be on the label and then I copy it with a pen that will not wash out. I hand sew it to the back of the quilt in the corner. I do not think this needs to be a big deal, just information about who made it and where and the date.

HillCountryGal 10-24-2013 05:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Using a pencil, I write or print the info, then hand embroider.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442939[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442940[/ATTACH]

tessagin 10-24-2013 05:46 AM

I hand embroider to the backing and try to make it inconspicuous on some. Just in case some one would try to steal it from a loved one. It happened to a friend who put the word out on different social media sites. She had a photo of it. The quilt had oddly enough been shown to a policeman whose mother is a quilter. She showed the photo to him and was informed how to look for the label and the specifics. It was a twin size but was for a very special little girl. So if you're going to make a quilt you may want to label it similar to that. You don't even have to go through all layers if you hand embroider or do the backing prior to quilting.

KathyKat 10-24-2013 05:47 AM

I hand write with a pigma pen onto a light fabric or muslim and then sew to back of quilt by hand.

quiltmom04 10-24-2013 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6363230)
for my better quilts, i machine embroider my labels with my name and date and the recipient's name and occasion and other pertinent information. for everyday items, i use a sharpie to put my name and the year

That's exactly what I do, too! Sometimes, I don't even put a label on, I just write on the backing if it's light enough. Again, just on smaller projects, not big gifts.

klgls 10-24-2013 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I almost always do mine on the computer and then print on fabric. Here's one I did recently for the 2013 September Doll Quilt Swap (blurred out the names).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442952[/ATTACH]

AZ Jane 10-24-2013 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by earthwalker (Post 6363406)
I print the words onto paper trace on to calico with a pencil (this stops wonkyness) then hand embroider the words. I generally handstitch the label to the back. These days my penmanship is pretty terrible, so this works for me.

This is what I do also. Print out on computer so it is readable, but also free hand my signature (even tho it's not great!!) Then embroider the whole thing. I try to add a little design that is in the quilt ot reminds me of the person. Like this one for a cousin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]442954[/ATTACH]

Scraplady 10-24-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C (Post 6363322)
I use a sharpie on muslin. I think years from now it would be nice to have a label with the maker's own handwriting.

You know, I never really thought about this, but this is an excellent point. I have mostly made handmade labels with permanent fabric markers on muslin. I sometimes draw motifs from the quilt or a border of some kind around the lettering. I have downloaded a few designs for labels to make on my embroidery machine but have been reluctant to use them. Something about that having that hand-made label with my own personality coming through just speaks to me. I think I might just keep on doing them that way.

dsews2 10-24-2013 07:53 AM

As for making your labels and the printers ink or pigma pens ink.... I've set the ink on labels by using a hot iron.
either flip the label over, on a paper towel, and use a hot iron and it will set the ink and it will last for a very long time.
i usually write my words with pigma pen and it lasts....

FroggyinTexas 10-24-2013 08:37 AM

I use muslin cut to whatever size it needs to be to tell the story of the quilt. I write with Micron pen because I believe having a label with my handwriting gives the quit more connecton with a live person. I tell a lot about the quilt--where I got the pattern and the fabric, if there were any struggles with it, what they were, who the intended recipient is, the name of the person who quilted it and my name, and the city where it was made and the date. I also put a border on the label using a scrap from the face of the quilt or the binding. I don't expect my quilts to last 50 or 100 years, but if they do, I want the person who has them to know their history. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by funnyhunnybunny (Post 6363216)
I've been asking my quilting buddies how they make their quilt labels. Answers have ranged from: they don't make one, use cross stitch, Micron pen, machine embroidery. So my question to you is: How do you make quilt labels, and why do you like that method?
Thanks, I'm trying to find a new method.