Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you mark your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-mark-your-quilts-t141642.html)

AliKat 07-31-2011 06:41 PM

Beware of the Frixon pens. The ink doesn't really fully disappear when ironed. It just isn't visible. Put the fabric in a cold place and the pen markings will reappear.

Kids love to use them for making 'secret messages.'

ali

LivelyLady 07-31-2011 06:54 PM

I love the Frixion pen! It irons out![/quote]

Me too! I just wish they would come out with a white one

TerryQuilter 07-31-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I love the Frixion pen! It irons out!

Me too! I just wish they would come out with a white one[/quote]

Ditto

BigDog 07-31-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
SewLine markers

Thank you. I just bought one last week but haven't used it yet. I'll have a conniption fit of epic proportions if it doesn't 'air' out.

QuiltE 07-31-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigDog

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
SewLine markers

Thank you. I just bought one last week but haven't used it yet. I'll have a conniption fit of epic proportions if it doesn't 'air' out.

They don't "air out" ... it disappears when you press.

QuiltE 07-31-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I love the Frixion pen! It irons out!

Me too! I just wish they would come out with a white one[/quote]

There were several lighter colours for using on darks. Yellow for sure, and I can't remember what other colours.

janedee 07-31-2011 09:35 PM

I use Derwent watercolour pencils - mainly a dark or light grey they come out either by using a damp cloth or washing the whole quilt

Borntohandquilt 07-31-2011 10:21 PM

I also use the Derwent watercolour pencils for dark fabrics. For light fabrics I do needlemarking.

k3n 08-01-2011 01:45 AM

If you're doing MQ I would say try to do as much as possible freehand. I find this easier than following a marked line anyway. If I DO mark, which is rare (perhaps a circle for a flower centre for eg) I use a blue pen. I've also made freezer paper templates to iron on then sew around (not THROUGH).

MegsAnn 08-01-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by jquilt214
I use silver, yellow pencils and chalk and I have started using the new Pilot Frixion pens. They are fantastic. I get then in a pack of 6 colors. Just be sure you read and follow the directions. I am also a hand quilter. I have had bad experiences with the blue and purple pens.

I just purchased my first Frixion while on the Shop Hop this month. Are you finding any problems with them? Or do all colours just disappear with the heat of the iron? How have they worked on the dark fabrics?

I love the one I have so far .... though I'm totally scared it'll not keep working that way!! :)

I got some 'bout a month ago. Of course I had to choose the package with a purple one! (It has red and green, too.) I've used them a LOT and no problems whatsoever. Comes right off with an iron. So easy. Way better than dealing with smearing chalk or markers that disappear before you've finished quilting.