Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you mark your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-mark-your-quilts-t141642.html)

BuzzinBumble 08-01-2011 04:01 AM

I make a stencil of my motif and mark it with dressmakers chalk. Now if I could just get that sewing machine to accurately follow the chalk lines! One would wonder if I have been QUI (quilting under the influence) :oops:

To remove chalk lines, you can either rub them off with old pantyhose or you can wash your quilt.

QuiltE 08-01-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by jquilt214
I use silver, yellow pencils and chalk and I have started using the new Pilot Frixion pens. They are fantastic. I get then in a pack of 6 colors. Just be sure you read and follow the directions. I am also a hand quilter. I have had bad experiences with the blue and purple pens.

I just purchased my first Frixion while on the Shop Hop this month. Are you finding any problems with them? Or do all colours just disappear with the heat of the iron? How have they worked on the dark fabrics?

I love the one I have so far .... though I'm totally scared it'll not keep working that way!! :)

I got some 'bout a month ago. Of course I had to choose the package with a purple one! (It has red and green, too.) I've used them a LOT and no problems whatsoever. Comes right off with an iron. So easy. Way better than dealing with smearing chalk or markers that disappear before you've finished quilting.

Thanks for the info! Plus they are such a nice fine point. Have you tried the cold test that someone mentioned as a problem? Also, have you tried any lights on the dark fabrics ... always such a problem when marking!

JoeandJoz 08-01-2011 05:39 AM

I usually use chalk (white only) as this is the easiest to remove, I use the one by Clover. I have also used a pounce pad, but be very cautious of the blue, never use full strength or it will not come out, also be sure you get the iron off kind much easier to remove. I have used the blue water soluable marker, don't leave on too long and just spritz with water to remove. Just remember it might come back later it will sink down into the batting.
Jo

Jennifer22206 08-01-2011 05:44 AM

I love the ones that are purple and they air out. It's wonderful to quilt with. for some of my FMQ I just wing it. I don't mark for meandering.

Iamquilter 08-01-2011 05:53 AM

I am a hand quilter and use either the Silver or white Berol markers or the Ultimate pencil marker for quilts. They all wash out, have never had a problem. I can even rub the markings off with the rubber fingers I use on my quilting hand.

Nana2boys 08-01-2011 06:11 AM

The Frixion pens are easy to use and the marks disappear when ironed, but as mentioned by others the marks ARE NOT eliminated. They WILL reappear with very cold temperatures. So, if you're giving the quilt to someone in colder climates you might want to warn them and let them know that they may need to iron their quilt if it's been in a cold vehicle etc. in the winter.

Lavada 08-01-2011 06:15 AM

I USE REGULAR NO 2 LEAD THE MARKS WASH OUT GUESS I AM FROM THE OLD SCHOOL OF QUILTERS AND I ONLY HAND QUILT

Caroline ritze 08-01-2011 06:19 AM

I could not get the yellow chalk marks out of my quilt

Deborah12687 08-01-2011 06:30 AM

I have had problems with some of the marking pencils not washing out fully. So I draw out the pattern on rice paper the size of the block and pin it to the quilt and then sew the design onto each block then pull the paper off afterwords.

mpeters1200 08-01-2011 06:38 AM

I've had problems with multicolored chalk. Many of the colors don't come out.

I have a Bohn(sp?) pencil I bought. The lead is super fine and it looks similar to what Fons and Porter uses. It's not chalk, they call it resin. I use the yellow and white the most. I use it for piecing as well as quilting and I quilt by hand and machine.