Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Rate Your Color Sense? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-rate-your-color-sense-t258372.html)

Pennyhal 12-17-2014 11:16 AM

I'm very confident about the colors I choose. Probably because I don't care if anyone else likes my quilts.

DebraK 12-17-2014 11:23 AM

GBATT = getting better all the time

HouseDragon 12-17-2014 11:45 AM

I'm confident of my colour choices because I audition my fabric on the Design Wall. I really don't care what other people think.

But if I'm making something for someone else, I do try to use colours or styles that I know they like.

There are some excellent books, sites, and pinterest colour boards for newbies. An easy trick is to find a print you love and pull colours to go with it using those handy little dots in the selvedge.

PaperPrincess 12-17-2014 12:04 PM

I am not confident at all of my color sense. I have a couple books on the subject that have helped, but I usually pick out a fabric with lots of colors that I like, then use that to select other fabrics. Sometimes I don't even use the original fabric in the quilt, just use it for color selection.

tessagin 12-17-2014 12:21 PM

I just look outside and see the colors of Mother Nature and I'm good. Sometimes the different hues throw me off.

maryb119 12-17-2014 12:37 PM

I do pretty good picking colors. I never follow a color wheel. If I like something together, I use it.

Doggramma 12-17-2014 12:43 PM

I'm kind of "into" the matchy thing, so I think my quilts are pretty successful color-wise. I get into trouble when I start mixing scrappy, odd colors together.

Rebecca_S 12-17-2014 02:48 PM

I feel good about my color sense although of course we are all always improving.

An exercise I found quite helpful was to make a scrap quilt with a number of HST that were light/dark, done completely at random. I used some of my fabrics, some from old clothes and some from another quilter so the palette was larger than just what I typically use. I found myself analysing (but no changing!) each pair, looking at value, hue, color, warm/cool and observing what worked and what didn't. Even the pairs that didn't work well mostly played well in the final quilt.

Dina 12-17-2014 03:13 PM

I have no confidence in color selection of fabric. I stew and stew about it, but my quilts usually turn out looking good. I am very fond of two color quilts or quilts with many shades of the same color. Those I am confident of...not so much anything else.

Dina

SoftBlockLady 12-17-2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7011594)
Sometimes when I am auditioning fabric for a new project, I think it looks great.....until I start sewing and then I wonder if other people will say to themselves, "those don't go together".

How often do you say "not everyone is going to like this"? On a scale from 1 to 10, how high do you put your choices?
Of course I know that there are no quilting police, but I was just wondering.

I don't know on a scale how high I would go but I do have a little trick that might be useful to some. I am a retired home dog groomer specializing in hand stripping West Highland Whites and Cairns. Did you ever wonder why groomers have large wall mirrors in their grooming rooms? Looking at the dog is not enough to tell if your on the right track. Standing back, looking into the mirror at the dog gives you a different perspective. I do that with fabric. It works.