Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Rate Your Color Sense?

How Do You Rate Your Color Sense?

Sometimes when I am auditioning fabric for a new project, I think it looks great.....until I start sewing and then I wonder if other people will say to themselves, "those don't go together".

How often do you say "not everyone is going to like this"? On a scale from 1 to 10, how high do you put your choices?
    Of course I know that there are no quilting police, but I was just wondering.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I am pretty confident in my sense of color and selecting fabrics. But much LESS confident in my ability to piece and quilt it!!!

Sometimes I doubt my color sense even when other quilter's say my color selection is excellent. I keep fabric up on the design wall reviewing it over and over again until I am sure the fabric will work.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I know I need help with color. But sometimes that has to do with the lighting. It would always upset me home and find the fabric looked totally different to me. So I try and take my daughter to help pick out fabric.

I'm very confident in my color sense. I don't think I've ever had a quilt that I later thought was the wrong color choices.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Banned
    I never doubt my color choices. However, that doesn't mean everyone else will like them, we all have different tastes.

Blog Entries
    I do best when I pull colours from a print, photo or other palette.

I love pinterest for finding different colour combinations.

My son wants a red, black and white quilt. That is easy, I have been collecting prints for a year now. My challenge is deciding on the pattern and cutting up the fabric.

Back in the 1980's I made a Quilt in a Day Trip Around the World quilt. It was peach and green (very 80's colours), one of the greens is too dark. It has bugged me ever since, but not enough to take it apart and change it out, especially 30 years later.

I love primary colours for flannel and denim rag quilts. I do not worry about the colours for them.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I normally feel comfortable with my color choices. The only time I have second guessed is in a Mystery quilt, then although I like my colors if I had been aware of the pattern may have used them differently. Usually if you lay all of your colors down and you are happy with them you will be happy with your quilt

Blog Entries
    I don't think I have much color sense. I love scrappy and when I do something that isn't scrappy, I have a difficult time finding 'coordinating' fabrics. Just not my thing. Plus, I mostly do not care what anyone thinks. I just have fun and that is my main goal in quilting...to make it an enjoyable hobby and not one to please others. If my projects come out great and others like them, it is a double bonus! :-)
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Like others, I am quite confident of my color choices but when in doubt I take a digital photograph of what I am doing. A digital image frequently allows me to step back and objectively look at my hesitancy and see the totality of the project and that allows me to either approve my color choice or move to another fabric.

I'm very confident about the colors I choose. Probably because I don't care if anyone else likes my quilts.
    Penny

GBATT = getting better all the time
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I'm confident of my colour choices because I audition my fabric on the Design Wall. I really don't care what other people think.

But if I'm making something for someone else, I do try to use colours or styles that I know they like.

There are some excellent books, sites, and pinterest colour boards for newbies. An easy trick is to find a print you love and pull colours to go with it using those handy little dots in the selvedge.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Blog Entries
    I am not confident at all of my color sense. I have a couple books on the subject that have helped, but I usually pick out a fabric with lots of colors that I like, then use that to select other fabrics. Sometimes I don't even use the original fabric in the quilt, just use it for color selection.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just look outside and see the colors of Mother Nature and I'm good. Sometimes the different hues throw me off.

I do pretty good picking colors. I never follow a color wheel. If I like something together, I use it.

I'm kind of "into" the matchy thing, so I think my quilts are pretty successful color-wise. I get into trouble when I start mixing scrappy, odd colors together.
    Lori

I feel good about my color sense although of course we are all always improving.

An exercise I found quite helpful was to make a scrap quilt with a number of HST that were light/dark, done completely at random. I used some of my fabrics, some from old clothes and some from another quilter so the palette was larger than just what I typically use. I found myself analysing (but no changing!) each pair, looking at value, hue, color, warm/cool and observing what worked and what didn't. Even the pairs that didn't work well mostly played well in the final quilt.

I have no confidence in color selection of fabric. I stew and stew about it, but my quilts usually turn out looking good. I am very fond of two color quilts or quilts with many shades of the same color. Those I am confident of...not so much anything else.

Dina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Sometimes when I am auditioning fabric for a new project, I think it looks great.....until I start sewing and then I wonder if other people will say to themselves, "those don't go together".

How often do you say "not everyone is going to like this"? On a scale from 1 to 10, how high do you put your choices?
    Of course I know that there are no quilting police, but I was just wondering.
    I don't know on a scale how high I would go but I do have a little trick that might be useful to some. I am a retired home dog groomer specializing in hand stripping West Highland Whites and Cairns. Did you ever wonder why groomers have large wall mirrors in their grooming rooms? Looking at the dog is not enough to tell if your on the right track. Standing back, looking into the mirror at the dog gives you a different perspective. I do that with fabric. It works.

I'm still "working" on color choices. It's not that I'm worried about what others may think but I just don't feel confident with color, although getting better. I had to laugh, one day in my LQS I was asking the owner for color ideas and she was trying to encourage me to make my own choices. She said to me, did anyone help you get dressed today, because you look pretty darn good. We had a good laugh about that. Anyway, I have also discovered what Basketman said and I have started taking pictures of my color choices in the stores when I'm having trouble deciding. It really helps.

Blog Entries
    I'm very confident in my color choices. One thing that I think people get hung up on is trying to perfectly "match" colors. It's less frustrating to find something that "blends well" rather than trying to match. Not all fabrics have to be "pretty" If you throw a few plain or drab ones in, it makes the others shine more.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I normally feel comfortable with my color choices. The only time I have second guessed is in a Mystery quilt, then although I like my colors if I had been aware of the pattern may have used them differently. Usually if you lay all of your colors down and you are happy with them you will be happy with your quilt
    I had a bad color choice experience with a mystery quilt and have decided not to do any more of them.
    jean

I'd say, on a 1-10 scale, I'm confident at about an 8.

Don't ask me to rate my math skills.

I only care about who will like my quilt color choices if I'm making it for them, because if someone were gifting me with one, I'd hope they'd consider my tastes.

I spend weeks tweaking a group of fabrics until they feel right to me. I never use precuts as a group because they are too matchy for me. Similarly, I find most random scrap quilts to be too jarring and busy. My chance of making a Bonnie Hunter quilt is zero. The word "pop" is not on my radar. It's a visceral reaction, I think. The colors need to "sing." Sometimes I am going for a 2-color scheme and fine-tune the group, moving fabrics in and out, adding occasional edgy ones, until they begin to vibrate. Sometimes I am going for a soft glow.. My piecing is pretty simple and my quilting very basic. They have to be, given all the time I spend on the front end. .

Hugs,
    Charlotte

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast