Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you rate yourself as a quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-rate-yourself-quilter-t133497.html)

sandy l 06-29-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I have done different levels of difficulty, pieced quilts for close to 40 years, and think that I am still a beginner. There is always so much to learn out there. I have given away more quilts than I will ever be able to remember.

I did tell my daughters that when I die, the custom around here at the wake, is to have a slide show of family pictures, and I don't want that. what I would like instead, is for anyone who has gotten a quilt from me, to bring it and lay it across the back of a pew. That is how I want to be remembered. Hope that doesn't sound to morbid.

I honestly can not think of a better way to be remembered!

KathyKat 06-29-2011 04:27 PM

I guess I'm still a beginner then.

pab58 06-29-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
According to what you have rated yourself, then I suck. :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Me, too!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poodles 06-29-2011 06:36 PM

I rate myself as a person that really would like to be a good quilter but I just can't seem too grasp a lot of things. I am hoping after I have my carpul tunnel fixed on the 19th of July, I can do a better job. I know not one person that has the time too come and just show me how too cut better and then put the pieces together right. One lady came about 2-3 months ago and helped me and then she took one of my quilt top material home with her and cut most of the pieces out for me and all I have too do is put them together. There are a lot of talented people on this board. I read as much as possible. Right now I am second rate for my quilting!

Dina 06-29-2011 07:00 PM

I just read all nine pages of this, and I commented to my son that "Everyone thinks they are a beginner or just a bit better." Of course, I fudged a bit, as several have claimed intermediate....but, you know, I suspect that each should move up a notch or two on the scale. I know there are master quilters among you all. I have seen the quilts.

I liked the non-rated answers....Cozy Quilter, Happy Quilter, etc.

I think quilters judge themselves just like they judge their own quilts....very critically. I also think quilters are modest. I also think quilters are the best people on the planet!

And I am proud to be among you!!

marthahelen 06-30-2011 04:47 AM

Guess I'll always feel like a beginner even after 17 years because there is always something new to learn. One thing for sure, I'll never get bored!

mayday 07-02-2011 09:37 AM

bad, but enjoy it so who cares????????

girliegirl 07-02-2011 09:51 AM

How would I rate myself? Don't have clue on that... I am told I am much better then I think I am.. but, what does that say? I am just as good at tearing stuff apart too!

dixiechunk 07-02-2011 06:07 PM

Maybe it would help if you could define the terms "beginner", "intermediate", and "advanced".
I made my first quilt in the early '70's ('71 or '72). Then "played" at quilting til the early '80's, became an avid quilter in the late '80's. I can draft patterns, piece, do curved piecing (although I don't enjoy it), machine applique, paper piece, and hand applique. I can hand quilt but it is boring to me and too slow. If pressed I can machine quilt small items (up to crib-size) but again, don't enjoy wrestling alligators. I even casually teach (guild programs). What would I have to add to my resume to become advanced? I don't do art quilts, hand-dye my own fabric (although I did take one class), long-arm, design (okay, sometimes I alter patterns to my own liking), and I haven't published or entered a quilt show.

Annya 07-03-2011 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
advanced beginner

So am I an advanced beginner. There is so much I need to learn about quilting that I think I will not have learned it all in my life time.