Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you rate yourself as a quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-rate-yourself-quilter-t133497.html)

cjomomma 06-27-2011 08:50 AM

Out of all the quilts I've made only 1 came out perfect. You know the one where everything lines up perfectly and I comes square.
Well I've been making quilts for 7 yrs. or so but consider myself to be novice.

QuiltnNan 06-27-2011 08:55 AM

still a beginner :(

leiladylei54 06-27-2011 08:57 AM

I classify myself as a newbie because I would only make the same pattern over and over again. Only recently (but haven't finished), I have moved onto a new pattern.

Jingle 06-27-2011 09:06 AM

I have been quilting about 44-45 yrs., Much more in the last 15 yrs or so, still not good enough to suit me. I love making quilts and have given most of them away. No matter how good I am I do not plan on stopping.

JenniePenny 06-27-2011 09:09 AM

I wouldn't even dare to rate myself. Seriously.
Piecing would be a different rating than quilting.

Karen Duncan 06-27-2011 09:17 AM

I would rate myself as intermediate. I do some easy things but I also like to do something that challenges my skill level. I think when you do something that pushes your skill level, you improve your skills. I do have a quilt that got a little more challenging than I had thought, so it is in a box and I get it out and work on it for short periods of time. Maybe I'll grow into it... :-)

Divokittysmom 06-27-2011 09:17 AM

I consider myself a novice, newbie, beginner,... that said, I try not to rate myself either. I am a perfectionist, too much so!! My hubby sees me agonize over the tiniest flaws or mentioning 'it's not perfect.....', etc etc. I finally decided over this last year or so to do my absolute best and try to let those tiny flaws go.... it's not easy for me but I must admit I do enjoy my sewing alot more knowing it doesn't have to be absolutely~positively~impossibly perfection! :-D

charismah 06-27-2011 09:23 AM

I have quilted 100's of quilts now...and I have to say almost every person that brings/sends me a quilt thinks they are a beginner. :wink:

I think that is the WONDERFUL thing about quilting..there is always more to learn..something to challenge us no matter how many hours we spend quilting....there is always something more.....Quilting is more than a hobby I always say...it's a passion!

Meme2six 06-27-2011 09:24 AM

I guess I am a confident beginner.

Airwick156 06-27-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
I classify myself as a newbie because I would only make the same pattern over and over again. Only recently (but haven't finished), I have moved onto a new pattern.

This is me too. Once I learned how to make one pattern I stuck with it. For an example, I have made about 15 Fabric Flings and about 15 Double Wedding Rings. I also am working on a new pattern and I am LEARNING how to read them and figure out how to cut the fabric on my own. And thats not an easy task as I am a VERY VISUAL person because I am unable to comprehend what I read. But ask me in a month and I can tell you what the book I read last month was about. LOL (I didn't read any book last month) lol