Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store/display your stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-display-your-stash-t141678.html)

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 08-01-2011 03:36 AM

I have the plastic drawer chests. I have them in a closet and the material is sorted by color. I like that they're protected from dust and sun.

CAJAMK 08-01-2011 03:44 AM

I have 8-10 20 gallon tubs of fabric in my small sewing room. Some tubs are in the small closet, some are under tables and some stacked againist the wall. But I have labels on the outside by color, vintage stuff & novelty/baby as I make alot of charity quilts. Most tubs are not clear but I am too cheap to buy new tubs. In fact I advertised on Craigslist looking for cheap clean tubs and paid only about $15 for all. Yes, I am poor & cheap but rich in spirit!

nhweaver 08-01-2011 03:46 AM

If you are going to store the fabric on open shelves, keep it from any sunlight direct or indirect. I stapled a pretty cotton shower curtain (clearance at Big Lots) to a wood book case years ago and would flip it out of the way when I wanted to pick fabric. I now have shelves in a closet 24" apart and had my LQS save the cardboard sleeves that the fabric comes wrapped on. 3 shelves of 24" high, the other half is 3 shelves of 18" for folded fabric and fat quarters. on the floor are plastic bins (smaller ones as the big ones filled with projects, kits are too heavy for me to lift) with whatevers.

ka9sdn 08-01-2011 03:57 AM

I have many drawers and store by color.

romanojg 08-01-2011 03:57 AM

I went to the store and got the bookshelves w/the cubbies; there are nine cubbies in each; I stacked two rows two high. Some of them have the canvas cubes in them to hold projects, patterns, notions, etc. Others have nothing so that I can put my stash, batting, etc in them. I try not to keep a really large stash so this works really great for me. I also have alot of fleece and that I keep in totes under my cutting table I got from JoAnns 1/2 price.

BarbaraSue 08-01-2011 04:18 AM

I have a bookcase, then I have clear plastic totes (IKEA, Container Store, sometimes Walmart) for the fat quarters, and a few fat eighths, each color in a separate tote. Because they are clear, I can see the colors, but the fabrics are protected from dust, pet hair, whatnot. I have 1/2 yard lengths also this way.

patchsamkim 08-01-2011 04:28 AM

I have a pretty large stash...the majority of mine is stored in crates turned on end and is by color, crates stacked 4 high, with a curtain in front to keep out sunlight...the crates are within a closet. Light colors/backgrounds are on the shelf above, with a piece of muslin draped over again to keep out sunlight.
Then I have another cupboard full of larger pieces of fabrics for borders and backings. And one dresser upstairs full of plaids, another full of batiks, florals and more plaids. Plus another tub of more plaids that don't fit (yet) into the other storage areas. I hope to keep using my plaids enough that all will fit into drawers soon.

Even room light can fade fabrics, not just sunlight, so try to keep your fabrics covered some way so they don't fade!

AUQuilter 08-01-2011 04:47 AM

Stash is inside a closet on shelving. I do keep my precuts tied with ribbons in a basket sitting pretty on the old treadle.

Jennifer22206 08-01-2011 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I store mine in the 9 cube containers from Target. There's no light at the end of the room that the fabric is in, but I do put an old sheet over it when not in use.

I have 2 of these containers and a small dresser that holds my batting and some other fabric that didn't fit.

dahlshouse 08-01-2011 04:56 AM

I keep mine color grouped in clear plastic sweater or shoe boxes on bookshelf.... works great ...

Originally Posted by happy_lady
Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my quilting room. Currently, I keep my stash in large plastic bins stacked against a wall. The bins protected my stash from my border collie who shared the same space. After 14 years, he now keeps an eye on me from above. :( Way off point, sorry....
My plan is to purchase a large bookcase and stack my fabric on the shelves. I have the option to get glass doors, but would rather not spend the extra money. How do you store your stach? Is it out in the open or tucked away and protected? Thanks everyone.