Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-batting-t107540.html)

mhansen6 03-15-2011 06:07 AM

Mine are just stuffed in a cupboard. I am waiting on a bookcase for my sewing room and when I get it I will be doing a major cleaning. I have to find a better way to store the batting.

whinnytoo 03-15-2011 06:20 AM

My sewing room is in our finished basement and I store my rolls of batting on the ceiling, Hubby put up some hooks and I got some closet rod to go thru the roll. It works great and I just pull off what I need at the time.
as for the pieces, I store them in rubbermaid bins and when I have enough, I zig zag them together to use in charity quilts or childrens quilts

ontheriver 03-15-2011 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I usually buy whole rolls with Joann coupon or when on sale elsewhere. My SO cut a broom handle a little longer than the roll, put cup hooks in each end. I put the broom handle thru the tube the batting is on, attach length of chain to each cup hook and hang it on another hook in the ceiling. I have enough room for two rolls. Of course it helps that I have a wooden ceiling since I live in a log home but I'm sure you could do something similar. As you can see it's almost time to shop for more.

hanging from ceiling out of the way
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170057[/ATTACH]

Kayaker26 03-15-2011 06:40 AM

I put all of it in a vaccuum bag(the ones you suck the air out of), since I am a newbie I haven't yet bought on a roll, I did buy my first bolt of fabric the other day!

Ripped on Scotch 03-15-2011 06:58 AM

My mom and I bought the whole bolt last time it was on sale at Joann's. Mom has a gammill so it's on the bar under the table. I think there are 3 on there right now.

Thanks for those videos... they are great. I really like all of her videos.

Quiltbeagle 03-15-2011 07:01 AM

For my used batting I use those plastic bags that you suck the air out with your vacuum. Makes it really shrink up and easy to store.

Covered in Threads 03-15-2011 07:20 AM

I buy mine on the roll that is standing in the closet with numerous totes of felts, wools, faux furs, etc and a few other vinyl rolls that I work with. All the cut pieces are with the intended project and small pieces are in a linen/sweater bag for storage. I too sew these pieces together for other uses - quilt as you go quilts, cosmetic bags, etc... Only itsy bitsy pieces go inot a pillowcase with fabric scraps for doggie & kitty beds for our local shelter. Waste nothing.

pennylynne 03-15-2011 07:50 AM

A friend of mine had her husband put up brackets in the dead space over her door in her quilting room. She then added a closet pole to lay across the brackets. She puts the roll of batting on the pole and pulls down what she needs.

pamkasperi 03-15-2011 07:51 AM

Shoved in a various bags by size and hidden behind the couch so no one can see that I'm up to four bags

Enchanted Quilter 03-15-2011 07:51 AM

Boy!! now to figure out which one will work for me I have look at the ceiling not sure on that . But I really like that thought also the vacuum bags . Also cleaning on my room found lots things. Have 2 big bags of patterns think I will post them later. After I seen all the NEAT sewing rooms I have been cleaning on mine & sewing all the time not getting anywhere. But thanks for all the thoughts. Now to get to work on some of it.