Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you use your serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-use-your-serger-t88435.html)

quiltyjax 01-08-2011 03:52 PM

Haven't used mine for years. Probably should sell it and have a bit more space and cash to exchange for fabric. Now that sounds like a plan!

RobinAnn 01-08-2011 04:09 PM

We had 3 going today to finish the last seams while we were making pillowcases for charity. I use mine about once a month to make things like pillowcases, napkins, and dish towels. Have seen lots of uses for them, but have nver taken the time to go deeper into its use. By the way, 11 of us made 200 pillowcases in 5 1/2 hours.

barbt 01-08-2011 04:10 PM

I do the same. When I put away the material and look at it later I know it is washed because the new fabric is serged. Does that makes sense?

MissBarkey 01-08-2011 04:21 PM

I love my serger. I don't use it for quilting but for making other sewing items it can be a godsend. To me, serging around fabric edges before washing to keep the threads intact is a waste of thread, but that's me. Sewing up a batch of pillow slips for friends and family is so easy with a serger. Also great for knits and stretchy material such as dance costumes.

leakus 01-08-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
When my serger died after 20 years, I was LOST--use it for so much---there are several really good books with lots of tips and projects. If anyone is interested, will get them out and post titles.
I make our washcloths out of old towels, tablecloths, curtains/drapes, window quilts, EASY crazy quilts, make all kinds of gifts and clothing, etc. And I have made many, many quilts with a serger--for hard use, probably not for posterity!
It is in use DAILY!

Just curious about the EASY crazy quilts. Can you explain? I am about to start doing crazy quilts.
thanks

shawnan 01-08-2011 04:31 PM

I'm just learning mine. I got it as an early birthday/Christmas present in October. So far I am loving it and I take a class about once a month from the dealer.

I used it for gift bags and pillow cases for Christmas. I'm also making a jacket and a mock turtleneck. It is too nice of a machine to let it collect dust on the shelf. Pfaff Coverlock 4

I have gotten a book "Serge and Merge Quilts" that looks like I'll learn more ways to use it with quilting.

BevD 01-08-2011 04:44 PM

Got my overlocker (serger) about 20years ago and used it and used it and used it....for clothes for the kids, pillowcases, tea towels and winter hats. It was a godsend back when the kids were young as clothes were whipped up in no time and lasted.
Since I started quilting I have been tempted to sell it as I haven't used it in years. But it has been a very trusty, useful and well used part of my sewing life and think I may just start using again as I now have an embroidery machine and it will come in very handy when I get better at using that.

cr12cats 01-08-2011 04:56 PM

tried quilt as you go with a serger for a class, messed the serger up. I finished it with my regular machine with no problems. I use mine to sew the edges of material before washing and love to use it on clothing. I don't think you really need one for just quilting. can't wait to get mine fixed for sewing clothes again.

Gabrielle's Mimi 01-08-2011 05:05 PM

I made a log cabin quilt on my serger. It was wonderful because the seams on the back lie flat and all are perfectly even and smooth. I wouldn't use it for stars or small pieces, but for squares and rectangles...just great!

penski 01-08-2011 05:07 PM

i only use mine to serge the edge of my new material before washing other thn that i dont use it ,i think one that sews clothes would get more use out of it and i only have mine because my sister gave it to me when she got a new one