Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you use your serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-use-your-serger-t88435.html)

lclang 01-08-2011 07:21 PM

I use mine to hold up the dust in my sewing room mostly. It is so difficult to thread that I dread breaking a thread and having to go through all the hoop-la to get it ready to sew again.

Patricia Ann 01-08-2011 07:23 PM

I use mine all the time I make table covers for our kitchen table it is round and the serger put's a beautiful hem on them

kathidahl 01-08-2011 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by megs0863
Just got a Consew coverlock for Christmas and have just finished 8 Rudolf pillowcases for next Christmas and will use them as gift bags for the little neices and nephews. I use my serger for giftbags and make them ahead so when it's time to give a gift, I have a bag ready. I use my serger frequently but not so much for quilting.

What are "Rudolph pillowcases"..sounds interesting.

MaureenM 01-08-2011 08:09 PM

I use mine all the time. I use it for apparel( love the finished look for the seams, Rolled hems for table cloths, anything that frays. I have a Pfaff 5 thread and love it.

kathidahl 01-08-2011 08:14 PM

Oh my gosh, I could not be without my serger. This one is a Babylock Imagine and I could not be happier with it. It is probably the 6th one I have owned and far and away the easiest to work with and to thread. I do still have one other one that is a Singer that I keep threaded and set up for coverlock hemming. My machines are in a U shape. Coverlock, Serger, sewing, embroidery. I can sit on my chair and wheel to which ever I need to use. I am either lazy or spoiled or lucky..or all three!

Halfsquare 01-08-2011 10:26 PM

I have a 440QE Bernina with embroidery module. I also have an earlier Bernina artista 130 and I just got my first serger - the Bernina 1150MDA. I will be picking up the Janome 1000CPX coverlock machine end of January.

I totally agree that now that I have a serger I have more things to embroider. I just made a simple tablecloth and embroidered sashings for my Ducks Game party on Monday. I was able to serge the tablecloth together and the edges, and I embroidered lettering like Go DUCKS and U of O on yellow sashing in green thread. I never would have done this without the serger. oh - and I also made 12 huge green cloth napkins wtih yellow serged edges. I didn't even roll the hems - just serged them. Nothing fancy - but it will be great for the party. I love having all and I have had all 3 up and going at the same time - while one was embroidering the letters, I was stitching and/or serging the tablecloth sections together. Embroidery does take a long time to finish.

Dee 01-08-2011 10:30 PM

I'm on my 2nd serger. I find for sewing its almost a must. Never used it for quilting.

HeatherS 01-08-2011 10:32 PM

I've had one for about 20 years and use it for all my curtains, cushions, hemming bedlinen, teatowels etc. but I must say, I just couldn't do without it for kids clothes. I sew for my GD's and it is in my opinion, a must.

Halfsquare 01-08-2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by HeatherS
I've had one for about 20 years and use it for all my curtains, cushions, hemming bedlinen, teatowels etc. but I must say, I just couldn't do without it for kids clothes. I sew for my GD's and it is in my opinion, a must.

yes - it is so fun to make tshirts and pj's for my grandson. And this way he actually wears them because they look so much better. Knits are hard to find though.

quilterforlife 01-09-2011 07:17 AM

I struggled with the decision of whether or not to invest in a serger as well. In the end, I bought an inexpensive, but capable, Brother serger from Walmart - and it was definitely the best choice for me. I have used it to serge around napkins, hand embroidery projects (rather than taping the edges), baby clothes, etc.. I wouldn't say I use it frequently - but I do use it regularly. It was worth the minimal investment I made.