Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you use your serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-use-your-serger-t88435.html)

honeydew 01-08-2011 05:28 PM

I love my serger. It is great for seams when you make purses, christmas stockings, scarves, towels. If my wash cloths start to ravel on edge I take them to the serger.

Derla 01-08-2011 05:29 PM

I used a serger when I made the grand kids their flannel quilts, but haven't used it for years now. My sewing machine will do everything I need done in that line.

aliceg 01-08-2011 05:31 PM

I use mine alot - couldn't be without it.

jitkaau 01-08-2011 05:37 PM

I use it a lot. It is handy to get the specialty feet to go with it - especially the cording foot, as you can do cording and zippers very easily.Nancy Zieman has tons of videos on how to use the serger to your advantage. I have had other overlockers in the past, but my present one is fabulous as it has air - threading and is a Baby Lock.
Kaye Wood has a method of using an overlocker to make a 6 hour quilt (I think that's what she calls it). She sandwiches everything at the one time.

LadyCougar 01-08-2011 05:42 PM

I actually have 2 sergers - one with white thread, and one with black. However, besides quilting I also do a lot of sewing for my granddaughter. All her clothes get serged, and all her doll clothes too. Even though I don't use it for quilting, I use with my embroidery machine, and my other sewing projects. I wouldn't give them up for anything. But that is my preference.

maryb119 01-08-2011 05:49 PM

I dont use mine as much as i used to before I started quilting. I use it to serge the cut edges of fabric before i prewash it and sometimes I use it to piece the backing fabric for a quilt if i don't buy extra wide faabric for the back.

Monica 01-08-2011 06:20 PM

I bought a 4 spool brother last year that was only $300. no issues with it at all and I love using it for sewing and quilting. i love to serge the edge of my quilt when I sew the binding on. Its also wonderful when making curtains.

Annya 01-08-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
When my serger died after 20 years, I was LOST--use it for so much---there are several really good books with lots of tips and projects. If anyone is interested, will get them out and post titles.
I make our washcloths out of old towels, tablecloths, curtains/drapes, window quilts, EASY crazy quilts, make all kinds of gifts and clothing, etc. And I have made many, many quilts with a serger--for hard use, probably not for posterity!
It is in use DAILY!

Mine died after 25 years and it was when I needed it the most--trying to finish off the applique cushion for my quilt groups' Christmas gift swap. I bought a new one which I have not yet used. I do know you can do a lot of different things with as I use to before quilting.

mom-6 01-08-2011 06:40 PM

I "inherited" one in October, have not yet opened the case or watched the video. Just hope it's one of the ones that 'threads itself'. LOL!

Had an old one (Montgomery Wards brand) that I got at a yard sale years ago and never could get it to work right for very long.

I think that's why I'm so reluctant to try out the new one.

Narda 01-08-2011 07:14 PM

I use it to make wash cloths out of old towels ...just cut the good part of the towel in squares and serge around the edges...aslo sometimes towels get frayed along the edge..I just serge the edge and they are good as new
also great for edging receiving blankets for baby showers. I get 45" of good flanelette and make a 43" square and serge around the edges in a matching or contrasting color and there you have alovely LARGE recieving blanket. The ones that you buy are all about 36" I've got alot of compliments about the size...I would be lost without my serger