Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-good-you-throwing-away-t143904.html)

Farm Quilter 08-10-2011 08:03 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I just know the second it goes out the door I'll need it for something!!! :cry: :cry:

Lisa Marie 08-10-2011 08:38 AM

I save all my scraps, blocks, UFO's but I am getting tired of looking at it.

thrums 08-10-2011 09:00 AM

I'm getting better at it. I just recently tossed a pile of miniscule scraps that I couldn't work with.

If you have trouble letting go...you may want to ask around to see if there's a quilter who loves to do crazy quilting.

I had an elderly cousin who took the tiniest scraps and hand-sewed them to make tiny teddy bears to give to children. She gave me one and it's one of my treasures.

It could be a great activity for those in assisted living. With that said, I need to save my scraps again. :)

thrums 08-10-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Becka
I have a hard time throwing things away, and I don't just mean in my sewing room. But the stuff from my sewing room does find a home. I know people that weave rag rugs and crochet doilies out of those strips too small to measure, and that do fabric mosaics with the 1 X 1's, etc. My kids laugh at me because I throw the crumbs on the floor as I'm working, then sweep and sort it all out, and end up throwing very little of it away :)

Love this!!

"When I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darned…But when one of my grandchildren sleeps on one of those quilts, they'll think about me, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten." from 'Aunt Jane of Kentucky' by Eliza Calvert Hall

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?

"throwing away"???????????? Please define!

I do sweep the floors most days!

Lv2sew2011 08-10-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?

I'm keeping all the scraps and when I'm feeling bored or just bored with making blocks, I will sew some of them together to make more fabric, I call it my scrappy fabric right now I have about 1/4 yard sewed together and some day will make more blocks with it...LOL

shnnn 08-10-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
I only keep things that are even strips or squares, no scraps

Me too - and only then if I really like it. Otherwise it goes in the scrap basket, lined with a grocery bag... when it starts overflowing I tie it up and in the trash it goes!

shnnn 08-10-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
I'm keeping all the scraps and when I'm feeling bored or just bored with making blocks, I will sew some of them together to make more fabric, I call it my scrappy fabric right now I have about 1/4 yard sewed together and some day will make more blocks with it...LOL

Bored? what is this bored? My husband tells me I should do this, or clean that when I'm bored..... I have a sewing machine, fabric, the internet, books, and when all else fails tv.... I have yet to find boredom enough to tackle his "when your bored" list

Maris 08-10-2011 09:20 AM

I keep scraps that can be used for scrappy quilts especially log cabin. I am trying to use up fabric (most of it is fat quarters) but never notice a decrease in the pile. Always need a color I don't have, so to the store I go and any left over pieces go back into the scrappy bag. Process never ends.

LindaDeeter 08-10-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by carslo
I have done 4 PIF boxes :)

What is a PIF box??