Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Long Does It Take (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-take-t106053.html)

ladeg 03-09-2011 08:22 AM

EasyPeezy I love your avitar. Do you know where I could find the pattern?

Thank you.

Sallyflymi 03-09-2011 09:23 AM

The quilt takes as long as it needs to be done. Working is hard, family and other obligations get in the way. Enjoy the process. Now that i don't work, the process is even more enjoyable. Just have fun with it. NO quilt police are on duty.

BettyM 03-09-2011 11:12 AM

I also only have evenings and weekends to work on quilts. I made a full size one that I hand quilted, and it took me 9 months! And I don't have little children that need lots of time!

pugmom 03-09-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by daisylady
I'd say you are doing great. Try to sew about half hour each eve. Can you leave your machine up and ready to use? Are you chain piecing the squares onto the block? That would help. Keep at it and you will be done before you know it.

I am very fortunate that we have a huge basement where I have tables set up for everything from cutting area, pressing, a table for serger, Bernina, Janome and Grandma's old Viking. Have a laying out table, two computers and then also several tables for friends that come to sew too. A TV with remote control, phone with intercom. I just need to bring down a fridge and microwave for it to be my girl cave.

I tend to be goal/task orientented. I was born two month early weighing in at 3 lbs 11 ozs 60 years ago and have always been in a hurry.

Finished my first wall hanging last night. It is like the Valentine's day wall hanging from Missouri star Quilt company. Hand sewed the binding and everything. Learned to do that on their tutorial as well. Loved the hand sewing part but cannot see myself hand quilting. Too slow for me.

Thank you all for your comments.
pugmom

spartan quilter 03-09-2011 01:31 PM

I guess I take about 3 months, give or take to finish a quilt. But I also have to clarify that I don't do bed size quilts, but lap size, 60x80 inches. My family and friends get more use out of the lap size, since we live in such a cold winter area. I also try not to have more than 2 going at any one time. It keeps me focused. But, of course, my housecleaning gets a little behind, but my girls always say that the dust will always be there, but the quilts are a treasure to have. So I make quilts.

Lobster 03-09-2011 01:46 PM

Anything from a week, including marking and cutting the fabrics (and making freezer paper templates, if I'm doing complex piecing) to a few months. I hand sew everything. I don't work, but on the other hand I have severe ME/CFIDS so I can't sew for as long as I'd like and sometimes I have to take the odd month off. The quilt in the icon is a metre square (full photo at http://img837.imageshack.us/i/isisquiltfinalphoto1.jpg/), and if we take off the two months I lost due to RSI and tendinitis, I worked on that for four months, including designing, piecing, appliqué, embroidery, quilting and beading.

kraftykimberly 03-09-2011 01:49 PM

Oh that depends on lots of things, pattern, daughters schedule, my schedule, time of year, the list goes on and on. I love the whole process tho so I'm good no matter how long it takes, quick or long its all good.

butterflywing 03-09-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Anywhere from a few hours to many years. It all depends on the pattern.

and how much time you sit here.
:mrgreen:

Taughtby Grandma 03-09-2011 05:35 PM

I work full time as well and depending on the pattern it usually takes me about a month to complete a queen size quilt start to finish. Baby quilts I can do over a weekend or a week if we do a lot of errands.

penski 03-09-2011 05:41 PM

i work partime and it takes me about a month or two for a queen size quilt