Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-basically-lone-quilters-have-close-friends-they-quilt-t21244.html)

Eddie 06-13-2009 11:00 AM

Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)

sandpat 06-13-2009 11:29 AM

Hey Eddie, what is the reasoning behind your local guild's ban on male members?

Eddie 06-13-2009 11:40 AM

I'm not really sure. I know several of the members of the guild personally, attend church with them, as well as involved with them in historic preservations groups here. But I didn't really want to make any waves by asking about it. I'd love to attend their meetings, they have show and tell, speakers, etc., but would hate if it caused any kind of issue with any of them there, which it might could since there are so many involved. Maybe someday it will change.

kluedesigns 06-13-2009 12:04 PM

eddie

i would ask someone you're friends with that's a member of the guild. it could be something they don't believe in any longer but haven't gotten around to changing in writing.

my local guild had a bylaw that meetings could only occur on tuesday at 10:30am.

this was an outdated policy that prevented so many people from joining do to employment commitments that they changed it when membership started to die off.

bearisgray 06-13-2009 12:20 PM

loner

bearisgray 06-13-2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)

The only reason I can think of would be that sometimes when women are together they talk about things that they would prefer to discuss with no men present - such as female health issues, problems with their men, etc.

bearisgray 06-13-2009 12:24 PM

But if the group has gotten large, that doesn't seem reasonable any longer, either.

sewjoyce 06-13-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'm not really sure. I know several of the members of the guild personally, attend church with them, as well as involved with them in historic preservations groups here. But I didn't really want to make any waves by asking about it. I'd love to attend their meetings, they have show and tell, speakers, etc., but would hate if it caused any kind of issue with any of them there, which it might could since there are so many involved. Maybe someday it will change.

Or if you're not comfortable asking, have your wife ask some of the church members....

genghis khan 06-13-2009 02:29 PM

Hey eddie read between the lines here, i wouldnt bother with them there or even chat in here but thats just me. Chris

kapatt 06-13-2009 02:57 PM

Every Wednesday, my neighbor and I get together to work on projects. Right now, we are working on the E.B. Underground Railroad blocks. It makes it nice to chit-chat about the blocks and any problems we are having as we work on them.

Once a month, we go to a large guild meeting but we get the most enjoyment with our small (just the two of us) Wednesday meetings.