Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-places-new-fabric-available-near-where-you-live-t22922.html)

Boston1954 07-18-2009 10:25 AM

Fort Smith (AR) is 18 miles away and has three Walmarts. Two have fabric. There is also a Hobby Lobby, a Hancocks and an LQS. I still miss Joann's though. It is 128 miles away in Tulsa.

Scissor Queen 07-18-2009 10:28 AM

Well, yesterday my girlfriend and I went on a mini shop hop. The shop hop was only 3 shops but we went to another one because we were close. (60 miles)

I drove 90 miles just to get to her house. The trip around to the four shops was about 170 miles. We were back at her house at supper time. Then another 90 to get home.

We had a blast! I got to go to a new shop I hadn't had a chance to get to yet and they have a great selection of fabrics and notions and patterns. It will be a definite on my regular shop list. If I go to that shop straight from my house it'll be about 135 miles one way. That's so close it's like not even leaving home!! LOL

The closest quilt shop to me is only 10 miles but she doesn't have regular open hours and you have to make an appointment to shop. I won't do that just to wander in a shop. Plus since she's mostly an internet sales shop she doesn't deal with in person customers all that well.

The next closest is 30 miles and it's an okay store at least.

Then there's another one just about four miles from that store that's... hmm, how shall we say, a mess. It's more like she sells fabric out of a huge sewing room than a store. The main shop hop is in September and it's going to take that long for her to get it cleaned up!

littlehud 07-18-2009 10:28 AM

I live 5 minutes from Hancock Fabrics and about 10 minutes from the LQS. Also there is Omaha just across the river. I'm lucky, I guess.

Lainee 07-18-2009 10:34 AM

Joann's about .5 miles away, Huntley lqs is maybe 3-4 miles, Crystal Lake lqs and Hobby Lobby about 6-7 miles, Carpentersville lqs 10 miles just moved to rural Woodstock which is 15 miles, Hampshire lsq (haven't been there yet) is 8-10 miles.

RedGarnet222 07-18-2009 10:40 AM

I guess so far we are lucky... There are four lqs's, a discount store called mill end, joann's, Hancock Fabrics and a Ben Franklin's all within 30 miles of me. THere are three in Carson City and two in Truckee both of which are 45 minutes from Reno. That is not counting the ones in Lake Tahoe or over the hill an hour and a half in Sacramento or the surrounding small towns. Oh and there is always the Walmarts (2).

BDor 07-18-2009 10:44 AM

I have 2 Walmart stores within a 15 minute drive from me but both are
getting rid of their fabric dept. I have got some good buys on some quilting supplies because of that. Large cutting mat for $10 and a a 12in.
rotating mat.

So when they close down I will have to drive an hour to Jackson which has a Hancock, Hobby Lobby and one other that I forget the name of.
I can drive 2 hours to Tupelo that has a wonderful shop.
Several ladies in the guild try to get together and go up there, great excuse for a day trip.

Beverly

ghostrider 07-18-2009 11:15 AM

Not counting the chain stores, there are 8 quilt shops within 25 miles of me that I know about, including Keepsake Quilting. Not bad for a tiny little town way out in the woods. :D

theboss 07-18-2009 12:09 PM

Within 20 minutes I can go to four LQS, Joanns, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and two WalMarts that still have fabrics. I feel lucky. If I visit my son about two hours away I can go to four more LQS and on the way there could stop at two more. Usually I don't stop as I am always in a hurry. :wink:

Ninnie 07-18-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by theboss
Within 20 minutes I can go to four LQS, Joanns, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and two WalMarts that still have fabrics. I feel lucky. If I visit my son about two hours away I can go to four more LQS and on the way there could stop at two more. Usually I don't stop as I am always in a hurry. :wink:

Well, guys , sounds like a party at the new guys place!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I live in the boonies and it's a 30 minute drive to the Hobby Lobby. at 1 1/2 hrs to a real fabric shop!!!

azdesertrat 07-18-2009 12:31 PM

I am definitely spoiled,there are 3 LQS within a mile of where i live, not including Joanns which is practically around the corner