Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-places-new-fabric-available-near-where-you-live-t22922.html)

pocoellie 07-18-2009 01:58 PM

There's 1 combination fabric store/shoe store/thrift store close to me, otherwise it's 100+ miles to Klamath Falls.

CajunQuilter2 07-18-2009 02:38 PM

Well, I have Gingers Needleworks right across the street from my house, I could walk if I were so inclined. Then we have a new LQS that has been open a year that is just across town. We also have a regular JoAnns & Hancocks. Don't care much for the Hancocks tho, ours has gone down hill in the last year. JoAnns is ok, use my coupons there alot for supplies. But I have become spoiled to the LQS quality of fabric. I have traveled as far as 1-2 hrs away to QS's as special treats. Speaking of special treats my friends & I are headed to Houston in 3 months for the International Quilt show there. Can't wait!!!!

ai731 07-18-2009 02:43 PM

I live in a rural farming area, so my tiny little LQS is in a small town about 45km (28 miles) away. The nearest city is 100km (50 miles) away and has one very good quilt shop and a couple of fabric stores. I buy most of my fabric online, and I stock up on thread and rotary cutter blades when I go to the city :)

Jan

zennia 07-18-2009 02:58 PM

I have a JoAnns and 2 small quilt shops about a half hour drive away. My two favorite quilt shops are each 1 hour away in opposite directions. I do a lot of on line shopping.

quiltluvr 07-18-2009 03:11 PM

In about a twenty to thirty mile range, I have 5 LQS, 2 Hancock's, 2 JoAnn's (one small, one supercenter) and 1 WalMart that I know of that still does a little fabric. There used to be more.

As if this can be uttered, but I really only like the fabric at one of the LQS but don't get out to it very often.

Years ago I was quilters heaven. About 30 miles from literally scores of shops, plus two Ben Franklins, a Hancock, a few JoAnn's and a WalMart that had a decent size fabric department, all before everything went. There was another shop I'd go to about an hour or so away that had like 6-7,000 bolts. All I can say for that one is good thing it was a drive away, my family probably wouldn't eat if I lived closer. :lol:

Jim's Gem 07-18-2009 03:12 PM

I have one about 3 min away and another 6 within a 20 min drive. Two of those are Joanns. This does not include Walmart, which I never shop at.

Grammie2twins+1 07-18-2009 03:20 PM

I have WalMart and an LQS called "In Stitches" here in Red Bluff. If I go north about an hour to Redding there are 4 LQSs and Joanns. If I go South East about 1.5 hours to Chico there is 3 LQSs and Joanns. If I go another 15 minutes up in the foot hills there are at least 3 LQSs in Paradise. Another 10 minutes up in to mountains from Paradise to Magalia is my favorite LQS. It's called Patchwork Barb's. Nice selection and wonderfully low prices. :lol:

Shemjo 07-18-2009 03:31 PM

There are lots of LQS in and around the greater St. Louis area, plus Hancocks, Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby, other fabric stores and Ben Franklins. Alas, or fortunately, none are really close to me. The nearest are about 5 miles away, but on a route I travel feguently. :lol: I have no trouble finding wonderful fabrics and supplies. :lol:

I was just on a road trip in Wisconsin, and looked up several LQS near where we were going anyway. One in Manitowoc was fabulous, Quilts and Silks is right across the street from the Maritime Museum there and the people there were so helpful! I dropped some $$ there. They have a wonderful variety of beautiful fabrics! I will go bak when I visit next time. :lol:

Moonpi 07-18-2009 04:20 PM

If 30 miles is the limit, I have two Joann stores, a Hancock's. and 4 quilt shops. Gotta say, of the four LQS, only one I can afford now and then. The others are waaaaaay out of my price range.

dunster 07-18-2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I'm about 10 mins from Joanns and 15 mins from Walmart. That's all we have here, Just the 2. Otherwise I'd have to go to Port Townsend which is an hour away

Bev, what about the Quilted Strait? We visited it last October, and it seemed to be a lovely quilt shop, and very friendly. Isn't it still there? I hope they haven't gone out of business!